Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Do you guys really sand your finger tips?

This could also go under the thread of, 'you know your a fly tier if.... ' I have better hands then my ex, in fact then any of the women I know about. I wear gloves when doing yard work, working on my truck and at work as a cook, in fact doing any thing that could damage my hands. I have a nice pumice stone, 'borrowed' from my (at that time not) ex, and a good supply of emery boards which I use for everything. Hand lotion is also to be found here. I tried wearing gloves while tying, working the silk especially but simply couldn't get into it. Here's a laugh though... I got some of the various type of plastic/vinyl/rubber/latex type gloves we have at work and tried them. Great for generating vast amounts of static electricity which wreaks havoc with silk, fur, feathers... you name it. If you want a real challange, try tying a fly, any fly, with latex gloves on. Make sure the kids are safely tucked away and the wife is not on stand-by with the video camera though.

best wishes

Andrew

Gentlemen,

I am a landscaper and even during the winter when I do most of my tying I am still laying natural stone patios with my bare hands as I hate using working gloves... something about loss of feel on the material. And so you all can imagine how rough my hands are. Therefore I must use silk gloves when wrapping on silk floss bodies. Quite often my rough hands even destroy the silk gloves. I try using a good Norwegian hand cream to keep the skin supple and it does help a lot.

Too busy this winter to tie hte calssics I wanted to. That's life.

Pedro.

I rip and tear on the bottom of the ocean ( not really but the Minas Basin) My hands are always wet in salt water and muddy sand. I use a hack similar to a clam digging fork. My hands wear out the wooden handle. I hit clam shells, barnacles, rocks etc. The salt dries my hands callouses and rips and tears in my hands is common. Not to mention getting bit by the worms. I have used hand cream rather than picking at them. It helps those "hard working man hands" I use a nail scrub brush all the time and wash my hands before and during tying. I also get a longer than needed piece of floss. I cant see me buying gloves as they would get ruined as I am not a neat and tidy guy. I have yet to buy a pumice stone but am going to, at the dollar store.

I use a pumice stone on my hands, as rock climbing generally tears them up pretty bad,

but I have recently gotten into the habit of using silk gloves when wrapping silk floss and it

works great for me, it's almost like an extra burnishing.

here is a trick that really works for your hands. use a pumice stone or 200-400 grit sand paper and then put some baby oil in your palm and add sugar to make a paste, rub your hands together in this paste and then rinse them. leaves your hands as smooth as a 'baby's behind'. takes off all the dead skin, etc.

joelst

I know someone will give me grief for this but I told my wife I would add this for her anyway. She read this question and immediately had an answer for it. She sells Mary Kay. They have a product for hands that is supposedly great for smoothing out and taking care of your hands. That being said, I myself have not tried it. I dont do a lot of floss work. If anyone is interested in getting some of this stuff, or more information ., PM me and I will have her forward some information.

john

So at the next show in Detroit, if the fly displays have a purty smell to them, I'll know who was reading this thread....... :hyst:

John, if the product has oil in it which I would guess it does, it would tend to ruin the floss. What you want is smooth and very clean fingers.

Happy New Year Trails!

Ronn

Sign in to follow this