Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Gray

Vise for saltwater size hooks?

I returned the Mongoose to JS . It was to cramped on my table to use correctly. I am looking for a standard vise that can handle hooks up to 4/0. Bells and whistles dont excite me I am looking for a well built vise. I am not looking for the ability to tie size 22 flies.

Thanks,

Dave

I just bought a Regal Bronze Pedestal and love it. There is a slot or indent in the jaws for larger hooks. They wont move, period. It also makes it easy to put them in. There is a stop, just push the hook back to it and let go of the leaver. Open close. It is also rotary, rugged piece of equipment, fairly small too. They have jumbo jaws, but I have had no problem with bigger hooks in the regular jaws. I think they are rated 6/0. For the price I say it was one of the best investments I have made for fly tying. The base is real heavy, and fairly small as well

I can tie anything I need to on my DK barracuda Jr. trekker. I bought the midge jaws for the tiny stuff and the regular jaws handle the rest, I usually make at least one salt trip a year and do all of my own tying.

Good Luck!