Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

Ceramic Bobbin?

I'm looking at a Griffin Supreme Ceramic Bobbin. Does ceramic really cut down on thread breakage? Is there a noticable difference? Is the Griffin Bobbin any good? Thanks.

~Bryce

I think that I have Griffin Ceramic bobbins. They have a ceramic center for the spool holder and the tube has a small ceramic bead in each end of it. As a matter of fact I have a few different sizes etc. It is easier to have several bobbins loaded with colors of thread that you use frequently than to change them all the time.

And most definetly they don't break the thread near as much as the not ceramic bobbins. they are worth the extra $

Thats the bobbin I use since its easier to tie with and definately breaks a whole lot less than the metal ones. This may sound wierd but I feel I have better thread control with it as well.

Sam

Griffin makes great bobbins of all kinds. I now am a big fan. I have one thing to say about ceramic is that don't drop them as the ceramic will break. Then they are no good what so ever. There are a few tips in the timely tips forum about bobbin care one about putting a glass bead at either end of the bobbin tube to reduce breakage. Another describing how to smooth out scratches inside the metal tubes with polishing compound.. I find the thing that causes most damage to metal tube bobbin's is running a piece of wire or wire bobbin threader through the tube. I have never used a nylon one but, just inset the thread a bit and suck it through the tube. I also have several bobbins ready for action. I find if the thread breaks, or you cut it by mistake you can finish the fly a lot quicker with a bobbin that is all ready.

I love the Griffins. They are so much easier to tie with than the bobbin that came with my kit. They are very light and nimble and seem to fit my hand perfectly. I have a couple of old metal bobbins that i use for copper and lead wire.

I am thinking about trying out the PeeWees next time, the 3 i have now are all regulars

I never had any problems with thread breakage until I grooved the lip of a metal-tubed bobbin with Kevlar thread. After that, I switched to ceramic. I haven't had a problem since.

John

Good Day,

Agrre with all. I also have a ruby tipped bobbin which has been wonderful as well. I use my straight metal bobbins for thick thread, mono, tnsel...

Steelie

After I started using a ceramic bobbin it's hard for me to use my other two I have and yes the thread breaks a lot less for me anyways.

Ashby

I've been using nonceramic S and M bobbins for around thirty years and have never had a problem with breakage. I do have over ten of them spooled up on my bench with 8/0 Unithread and 6/0 Herb Howard's prewaxed in various colors. Maybe since I don't use the same one all the time it doesn't get grooved?

They're inexpensive enough to do that....

Hot Tuna