Fly Tying
steelie

Squidy start...

Good Day,

Fooling around with some ideas and this came up... brighter light in photo hid the form, therefore used less light.

post-295-1136939139_thumb.jpg

I cut two rectangular pieces of clear vinyl to start. I layed the first piece on a flame shaped heavy glass lightbulb. I then used my heat gun on its low setting (600 F). Take it easy and slowly, the vinyl will eventuall droop and melt over the form, almost becoming liquid. You will know as you will see it start to droop then visibly you can see the liquid like quality emerge. Let cool. Using a sharp razor cut extra vinyl away from the bulb by cutting down the mddle of the bulb on opposing sides. Carefully lay second piece on opposite side of bulb making sure to keep it even for the stabilizing fins. Slooooowly heat with heat gun. Cut away any extra vinyl and voila! A squid mantle.

Previous tests or "play" also revealed that this form may also create a very well shaped lobster or crayfish carpace. Off to the races... hehehe.

Lastly, I am waiting for a softex like product (Plasti-Dip) to arrive in the mail to further the research into forming a quality squid mantle and other fishy forms... :devil:

The goal is to creat something like the following examples

post-295-1136951872_thumb.jpg

post-295-1136951908_thumb.jpg

post-295-1136951941_thumb.jpg

Steelie

Good Day,

2 3/4" long x 1 1/4" wide bodyx 2 1/4" wide at fins.

I am planning to use a combination of various glow in the dark materials such as markers, paint, fabric paint, glow in the dark flashabou and maybe a baloon if I can find one. Maybe even glow in the dark impregnatated cheese cloth or such forf the inner organs. The hard part has been finding a set of appropraite glass or plastic eyes. There are all kinds of fish, reptile and mamal eyes for taxidermy, however I have not yet run into a propper glass slit eye for squid or octopuss. Does anyone know of a source or possibly a custom creator or good walkthrough of how to make them myself? Thanks!

Steelie

Hi Steelie,

Very interesting and unique, and I was surprised how small your mantle is, the photo makes it look much larger. I wondered what you had planned until I just looked at the three squid photos. Your play looks like great fun and I can't decide if I like pic one or three better, so, hope you feel the same and tye a couple of these bad boys. I look forward to meeting you someday at a show or elsewhere and see your work in person. I'm sure we could chat for hours about unusual techniques. I very much look forward to seeing your completed squid(s).

Graham

Graham,

You bring up an inteesting point that I have thouhgt about for the past several weeks with regard to all of the tying shows and how the people we would like to meet are at various events vs. a singular location. Maybe we can start a yearly special realistic fishing and display tying conclave somewhere here in the States? I have heard of similar in Europe, but with out confirmation. Also, seening that many of our members are involved with larger organization such as T.U. and the FFF. Perhaps we could get one or two of these organizations to put a meeting of the minds together. I am sure many would come from all around to learn, hang out and in general, have a great time. I envision a full weekend afair, with time to fish!. Like start late Thursday and maybe roll into late Sunday or Monfday for those who do not have an immediate need to return to the real world. Simply call it something like "Realistic Summer Symposium" and hold it in a different location every year. Preferably at a time and place where we not only tie but can challenge each other on the stream with our creations. maybe even some light hearted competitions for various styles of flies voted on by the attendies.... dry fly, emerger, nymph, (all fishable) then on to the display flies and lastly the see what you can do with this competition where each tier is given an identical bag of random material and are challenged to create any realistic fly within a particluar time limit...

More often than not, these seem to be loose knit buch of tiers getting together to shoot the bull, share and mayfish and enjoy good food as well as company. We could turn it into the Realitic Tour and sell it to the various shows so awe are always represented. Maybe shooting out the back end on this, but hell, worth considering? I believe we could come up with a well constructed and managed show!

Comment?Brotherhood of Reality

Good Day,

One last thought. The Brotherhood of Reality should very clearly be defined as an organization that bases its highest traditions and beliefs in sharing the word and educating those who wish to learn any technique we may have created or become profficeint with. Just thought... but I do think it can be done... imagine, a sometime oddly thought collection of tiers, creating a seaparate but very connected brootherhood to the general sport by virtue of shared philosophies and beliefs... maybe sounds a bit too religious... but you get the idea! Stand out and help those who wish to be helped! Afterall, it is only a matter of time before those wishing help and assistance will find us. Why not make ourselves that much more visible and available. My experience shows that this internation hodge podge group of tiers are not only some of the most gifted and under-appreciated tying tallents we have today let alone the absolute will to share with others at the drop of a hat! Pretty cool guys, I know you all might not, however, you all deserve a pat on the back...

Steelie

Hmmm, sounds great to me Steelie. We need an inexpensive location, with room to tye, with a few fly shops close by, and good fishing in close proximity. The first place that comes to mind is W NY last week of October... This way I can take my annual weeks fly fishing trip back east without concern of my wife cutting my thread for taking too many trips back east...lol...without the family... I book a 4 bedroom house at a marina which actually has about 8 beds, but filled up, that would be too crowded, 4 or 5 guys is just right and I'm pretty sure the same group that went last year will go again this year. The marina has a number of smaller cabins, all with fully appointed kitchens, microwave, stove, pots, silverware, etc. TV, wifi for laptops, very pretty surroundings and comfortable as well. They only charge $30 per night per person. This is my poor mans Patagonia, and it kcks ass, especially the monster brownie action. Maybe we should see how many realistic tyers are interested and book a bunch of cabins for a big get together? The marina charges 50% down for reservations. But, the fishing might be too much of a distraction. All of us brought tying kits last year, but I'm pretty sure wickedcarpenter was the only one that tyed at night. We were all beat from fishing from dawn till dusk and/or after dark. Maybe we should plan this for next year because it looks like Ulf, Leif will be there in 07 from Sweden as well as Aarne and Jukka from Finland. Or maybe both years? I'll be there either way, for a few more decades.

YEs Yes! Graham...

The first Annual meeting of the Brotherhood of Realism! Maybe, if there is room, one day we can open up a banquet room for visitors to stop by an pay a small entry fee to sit and chat with us. Help differ costs of rooms, etc. Left over donated into a general fund that can easily be set up. We have lawyers in or FFF coucil who might be able to help us set up with incorporation as 501-c3. I envision a small travelling selection of rogue tiers causing hell and teaching a lot of folks in the process! How FUN!

Steelie

The squid looks good, man you can come up with some cool ideas. All this talk about group tying and fishing makes me wish I was allowed in the U.S.

Now you are really talking! Great idea to have the "brotherhood of realism" Steelie, the thing that come into mind is the "Mayfly club" that holds greatness like Bob Mead and Steve Thornton. They had a show in Beaverkill last year and is planning another one this year, check http://www.themayflyclub.com for more info.

Graham, it sure would be fantastic if we could do a larger gettogether in W NY in 2007, having to get to know some great people and tyers over this past year it would be so much fun to meet you all in real life.

/Ulf

Steelie..."Share what you know"..."Learn what you don't"

Brotherhood of Reality :thumbsup: Can we have a secret handshake ;)

A gathering of tiers would be fun...I certainly would try and budget for it.

I have benefited greatly from the friendships I've made through this Forum. Not to single anyone out, but Graham for example has helped me navigate several tying mindfields...Plus, he's a California boy like me :D

Oh, and all of you Michiganders make this former Lansingite long for a return trip to the Water, Winter, Wonderland...

Joe Hard...Can't get into the United States??? What did you do to piss of Homeland Security? :P

Later. SullyTM

I am planning to use a combination of various glow in the dark materials such as markers, paint, fabric paint, glow in the dark flashabou and maybe a baloon if I can find one. Maybe even glow in the dark impregnatated cheese cloth or such forf the inner organs.

I think you could use a glow-in-the-dark condom for material. :hyst: