Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

I think I'm going to try to build a Roostertail fly...

I'm thinking with a 6xl hook, tie it like a wooly bugger with a lead-wrapped shank (black with a chartreuse marabou tail, or whatever your heart desires), but leave enough space for a small bead and buy either some small Panther Martin style blades or Mepps Aglia style blades with a clevis.

My favorite things to use for stream Smallies when the water is up and stained are buzzbaits and inline spinners. There's no real substitute for a buzzbait (though I probably could build a Sneaky Pete with a propeller blade up front), but I'm thinking that this "Spinnie Bugger" thing would be the shizzle. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking that the small size blade would be the best for adapting it to fly tackle.

I'm just worried that if I use those propellers with a regular #4 or #6 hook or something, my hookup rate would plummet.

I do tie some with the blade. You can get the blades in bulk at places like Bass Pro or Cabela's. They do make lightweight blades in 100 packs for like $3. It does make for an interesting pattern, just make sure that you leave enough room for a free spin or your whole fly will spin. Commercially Joe's Flies do use a very thin blade on a lightweight clevis and they work pretty good as well.

I have experimented heavily with spinner fly combinations and spinner fly patterns. I love to fish them. I'll tell you right now that the best spinner fly for actual in-water use is a tail-spinner. Use a 3XL hook and tie a small, high quality ball bearing swivel to a loop of mono at the bend of the hook. Then tie a body with a plamered hackle or whatever you like. Add a Colorado or Indiana blade to the swivel - this way the spinner is behind the fly. It will cast better, retrieve better, have better action on the fall and just plain fish better.

Give it a try.

Joe C.

Hmm, kinda like a furry Little George. Colorado or Indiana blades would be a little better in stained water than the willow leaf models, too. Good suggestion! Thanks!

I may just be remembering things that never happened again, but weren't spin/fly combo flies extremely popular back in the day (late 70's) just I seem to recall reading a lot about them from old magazines and stuff but then they fell into disuse - more likely because of puristism than lack of productivity.

Its probably just a trivia factoid now because even if there was a lot of printed patterns and examples it would take a trip to a library and use of a card catalogue to find them...See kids there was this Dark time in Human history before the internet when people actually had to talk to each other - those were bad times indeed.

do a search for "fox statler" he fishes down south, in arkansas i believe and has developed some patterns with spinners in them.

i believe his site is www.fishinwhattheysee.com, but not for sure.

Dafack01...no real sustitute for a buzzbait?...

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=&...ndpost&p=125719

You must have missed this earlier post.

That's more of a Heddon Tiny Torpedo adapted for fly fishing. A buzzbait will create a lot more commotion than a Tiny Torpedo, though they probably do the same job and catch the same amount of fish. I've never actually fished with a Heddon Torpedo, just buzzbaits. I'm going to have to try and concoct a simpler way of doing your Coffe Grinder. I'd LOVE to have a few of those in my fly box. Maybe I can just buy some foam and use a knife and some sandpaper on the foam?

Spin flies can be very effective when used correctly, but be careful of the regulations where you fish them. Some fly definitions can put you afoul of the law.

That's more of a Heddon Tiny Torpedo adapted for fly fishing. A buzzbait will create a lot more commotion than a Tiny Torpedo, though they probably do the same job and catch the same amount of fish. I've never actually fished with a Heddon Torpedo, just buzzbaits. I'm going to have to try and concoct a simpler way of doing your Coffe Grinder. I'd LOVE to have a few of those in my fly box. Maybe I can just buy some foam and use a knife and some sandpaper on the foam?

Well, you're right that it is more like a torpedo. but the smallies in my area love buzzbaits. They don't mind the topedo, though. If anything, mine kicks up more water than the ones you currently buy in the store! Mabe the ones at Wally World are not as good as the originals. Anyway, I studied on trying to make a buzzbait for the flyrod, but I finally came to the conclusion that just using a regular buzzbait was the easiest way. Anything you try to tie to look & act like a buzzbait for spinning gear will just be the same thing, only more expensive.

A dremel tool will be the easiest way to shape a Coffey Grinder. Or, I could sell you some. However, I don't turn out that many. I can usually only average one per day! It's usually best to get one as a pattern, and use it as a guide to making them yourself. I will barely have enough ffor myself come spring!

I'm thinking that this "Spinnie Bugger" thing would be the shizzle. Has anyone tried this?

Actually, what you're describing sounds like a pistol pete. It's a tippet twising nightmareish hell fly. You would have to hold me at gun-point to get me to use one again! There are other options, but I think the most important thing is to counter balance part of the fly, so that it (the fly, itself) can't spin with the blade. Even if the fly only twists once for every 10 revolutions of the blade, it will still twist your leader beyond recognition. You might try winding lead wire on a hook shank, tying it like a bendback streamer, and hanging a spinner blade off the bend of the hook. :dunno: As a spinnerbait substitute.

Well, you're right that it is more like a torpedo. but the smallies in my area love buzzbaits. They don't mind the topedo, though. If anything, mine kicks up more water than the ones you currently buy in the store! Mabe the ones at Wally World are not as good as the originals. Anyway, I studied on trying to make a buzzbait for the flyrod, but I finally came to the conclusion that just using a regular buzzbait was the easiest way. Anything you try to tie to look & act like a buzzbait for spinning gear will just be the same thing, only more expensive.

A dremel tool will be the easiest way to shape a Coffey Grinder. Or, I could sell you some. However, I don't turn out that many. I can usually only average one per day! It's usually best to get one as a pattern, and use it as a guide to making them yourself. I will barely have enough ffor myself come spring!

I'm thinking that this "Spinnie Bugger" thing would be the shizzle. Has anyone tried this?

Actually, what you're describing sounds like a pistol pete. It's a tippet twising nightmareish hell fly. You would have to hold me at gun-point to get me to use one again! There are other options, but I think the most important thing is to counter balance part of the fly, so that it (the fly, itself) can't spin with the blade. Even if the fly only twists once for every 10 revolutions of the blade, it will still twist your leader beyond recognition. You might try winding lead wire on a hook shank, tying it like a bendback streamer, and hanging a spinner blade off the bend of the hook. :dunno: As a spinnerbait substitute.

Those fly blades (the propeller things at Bass Pro) scare me, and yeah a Pistol Pete looks like a Wooly Bugger with that on it. Cornmuse suggested getting a high quality ball bearing swivel and a small colorado or indiana blade. Just drop the swivel off the back of the hook and attach the blade to the swivel. I'll probably tie it with hourglass eyes to keep the hook riding true as much as possible.

The dremel route is a little rich for me right now. I'll probably try to play around with some foam (and knife and a file), some hooks, and some wire to see if I can get something fishable. Probably start with something reminicent of a popper shaped like a Heddon Torpedo. Just use the wire to hold the propeller.

I'm not going to invest too much money into it though. I ain't skeered to bust out the spinning rod.

If you don't want to incur the expense of the ball bearing swivels use crane swivels, they work just as well. I use them on my road runner style jigs that I make and they work just fine. Cheap at Jann's Netcraft and you can get the blades cheaper there with a bigger variety than Bass Pro or Cabela's.

Fatman