Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

Question about the Sparkleminnow...

I finally got a dubbing whirl and got the hang of tying the thing. :yahoo: I was just wondering about how full it should be tied. The 2 I tied both are pretty full. A lot fuller than the one sparkleminnow has posted on here a few times. I'm wondering if I tied it too thickly or if it doesn't really matter? I'm thinking that if it's tied thicker, it will push more water and generally slow down more and stop faster when paused. Not that that was my intention when tying. I just happened to tie them kinda full.

Come on Matt,

Be bold and get that camera out and blow off the cobwebs............. :P If it helps at all when I have tied those patterns I lean towards a slim body.......................but thats just my perfered style...... :blink:

Mike

Day5, send me your email addy, and I can get you the tying directions.

This is how I generally tie it. You don't want it to be too full, or it will kill he action of the body material.

I almost always post the pic of the pearl color, because it's my favorie, but other colors have worked well. The "black light" color is soooo much better than standard black, but I don't have a good answer why. Heck, since there is unlimited space for pics...

post-1143-1137955650_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137955835_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956092_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956123_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956143_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956171_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956206_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956260_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1137956295_thumb.jpg

Well, you might have, in part. The crystal bugger uses Estaz. It is pretty stiff stuff...like deer hair compared to marabou. The Angel Hair is much softer, and has more action. The Sparkleminnow body will also lay down better when swung through the current. It will take on an appearance much like a bassassasin soft plastic jerkbait. But, the body material will also wave & undulate when dead-drifted. I found that a palmered hackle will act like an auger, and twist your leader badly. The dubbed body material has no orientation so it will not twist when swung in the curent, streamer style. The tiny fibers look like thousands of tiny scales of a baitfish vs the one or two dozen larger "scales" appearance of estaz. My take on it, just that only. I can only go by what I have experianced in side-by-side testing against similar patterns.

BTW, Kings looooove the black light pattern!

post-1143-1138071712_thumb.jpg

Maybe this is a question for the new tier board, but it fits this thread. How do you go about getting fibers like Angel Hair, the Sparkle flash, flashabou, etc. into a dubbing loop? I am picturing myself chopping up a ton of material, then wedging the little pieces into the loop a few pieces at a time. It's a picture that has kept me from trying it so far.

I wouldn't use something as large as Flashabou, or sparkleflash in a dubbing loop. If you are going to use material that coarse, you might as well use Estaz. It's far easier. As for getting Angel Hair into a dubbing loop...Check the picture below. The material is lined up after you have cut (cut) it to size, not chopped (people tend to think "chopped" means thrown into a dubbing blender and "chopped up".) The material is cut to the right size, then grasped in one clump, and while the dubbing whirl is holding tension on the loop, insert the material into the loop. Allow the dubbing whirl to maintain tension on the loop, and evenly distribute the material throughout the loop. Pinch the loop with your free hand, and keep tension on the loop with your free hand. Spin the whirl with your other hand, and as it is twisting up slowly and gently relax your grip on the loop. It will twist enough for you to let go of the loop, and it will not fall out.

post-1143-1138144532_thumb.jpg

You actually use the angel hair for the underbody. You can still see the underbody of the fly through the dubbed angel hair, so by using angel hair for the underbody you still retain a bunch of flash.