Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeffs' Nymph O

need help

First, I would just like to say I love this message board. I have been fly fishing for years and I am always looking foward to learning anything I can, as we all are, being a student of this great sport and art. The comraderie and willingness to share knowledge on this forum is phenomenal. You just don't find that too often anymore. I found these boards while surfing flyfishing sites and now read them daily. I have learned so much already. Thank You all B)

Anyway, I'm looking to get started in the next phase of my "education" and would like some advice from you guys. I actually bought a "cheapo" beginners kit from the local sporting goods store a few years ago and did learn some of the basics but never really had the time to persue it further. I would like to get back into it and I'm not really sure what is the best way to go about it. Like I said, I have a limited knowledge of the basics but I probably need to kinda start fom scratch at this point. I would like to learn while also tying some functional flies.

I saw the "beginner's kit" on the J. Stockard site and that seems a logical place to start. I don't know? I just figured I'd ask some of you pros before I shelled out the cash. :dunno:..........books ? ...........vids?..........Any help would be much appreciated :baby:

Al Beatty's beginners vid is pinned as a topic so I will assume that is a good start.

The best advise I can give you is to hook up with another tier or locate a tying class in your area,

The other best is to follow this link and follow Al's tutorials.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10953

If you are looking for a good beginners books we all have an opinion that would leave you with 50 choices. My favorite is The Fly Tying Bible by Peter Gathercole and again that is an opinion.

Welcome to the site Jeff...glad to have you.

Any of Al's stuff is bound to be top notch; while not necessary to get going it will give you a good base to work from. As for the kits I generally shy away from them as you can only go as far as your tools will let you, and typically the tools and materials in the kit are second tier. Personally I would recommend getting a few Griffin Ceramic Bobbins, some Dr Slick scissors, a good pick, whip finisher, and dubbing loop tool. To get back in to the swing I would recommend picking out 4-6 similar patterns and then go get the materials that would allow you to tie those. After a few weeks pick another couple patterns and go get the materials for those. Pretty soon you will find that you have built up quite a stash of materials, and will be buying less and less as you add new patterns since you already have the stuff to do the flies. What you pick depends on your intended target fish. If you want to send me a PM I can give some more information as to what I would start with and other specific information I have found useful in teaching my classes.

I loko forward to seeing your progress as you get back in to the addiction... :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard! Glad that you have stumbled upon this site, and seems as you share the overwhelming enthusiasm that is common among members of these great forums. I'm certain that you will find tons of helpful information as well as advice, and may even occassionally find yourself caught up in the friendly banter that takes place. Absolutely the J. Stockard site would be a great place to start! However, to be completely honest with you if you were thinking that this hobby (obsession is more accurate for most of us) will grow in time, I feel you'd be much better served to upgrade a bit from the beginners sets. For instance, check into getting a vice such as Dan-Vice- they are very good vices at very reasonable prices. Also, at times the materials provided in the kits tend to be lower quality....will you be able to tie decent flies with whats provided? yeah probably, however you'll find that eventually you'll wish you would have spent just a bit more money for some better things. As far as books and vids are concerned...well I'll let someone else field that question cause I'm not too "in the know" as far as they are concerned. Good luck and let me know if I can do anything to help you out. Enjoy the sites and once again, welcome aboard!

Sage8wt

That is a good start. As far as a vice, don't open that can of worms...please.... :)

Any vice will work for starting out. You don't need anything fancy. I used a sunrise AA for a very long time. I suggest some simple stuff to start, something like a wooly bugger perhaps. You can get the materials to do a bunch of those cheap. And once you get that, you pick up some gold beads for a size 12 and make some Allie worms. :) Simple still, but adds a little and they work great for a lot of species. Then you get a sguirrel tail and that with the bugger and allie stuff, now you can make some springs wigglers. Also, clousers are simple and cost effective.

You can find all of these patterns here in the pattern archives.

Also, if you have the bucks, the Bench side reference is a great, great book.

But a decent book that is good for the starter and is cheap, Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple:by Skip Morris

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Any and all help is greatly appreciated B)

I guess what you guys are saying is that I will be better served in buying better quality basic tools and then buying materials on a per need basis..........makes sense, I'm glad I asked.

Welcome to the forum. I can give just a little advice--DONT START---Just walk away now.

You'll save tons of money. Wont have a jealous wife. Your desk will be a lot cleaner. Feathers and fur wont be strung all over the house. And you might be able to shug off the sudden urge to stop and pick up road kill :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Again welcome to the forum! Its an addiction

Duckydoty

I disagree, it is not an addiction I can walk away from this and never look back. :rolleyes: :hyst:

Seriously, welcome to the FTF. All of the info you received is good stuff. If you are at all uncertain about any of this advice, e-mail Al Beatty. He is a legendary tyer, an upright guy and can set you up within your budget and with quality stuff. In fact, don't be bashful about contacting anyone here with a question. If you see something you like but don't understand how it was done, ask us.

As was said, the tutorials here on this site are from Al betty, Al is a very well known and respected tyer/writer so if you can't find what your looking for in Al's videos here on this site, I highly doubt FAOL will have anything better :rolleyes: ;)

Welcome to FTF Jeff, and ask away, these guys will help you anyway they can.

I started with a beginners kit too. it's ok for a start, but then my vice fell apart that came with it so had to buy a better one, everything I've learned about fly fishing either came from the internet or fly fishing magazines. flyanglersonline.com has intructions for all kinds of techniques, although this site has the most amazing flies I've ever seen. with both sites you should be well on your way.

Two of the books that I found most helpful are "Tying Nymphs" and Tying Dry Flies" written by Randall Kaufmann. Both have basic tying techniques and step by step instructions for a lot of flies. By the time you finish tying the step-by-step patterns, you should be able to tie any of the flies in the pattern directory.

Got Leeson & Schollmeyer's "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" for a b'day present. Pricey, but what a book! Also available on CD.