Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Robert_S

What do you do with them?

Looking at Muzzy's flies and a lot of others I got to ask what do you do with them once there tyed? I know the kind of time some of them take and cost of materials. I know you don't just throw them out or fish the really nice ones. Still trying to get the time to start tying them, trout flys are easy, use them or give them away to the line that will always want some, but the Salmon?

That’s up to the person tying them. Most of them (for me) will remain virgin flies (never see water) and end up in a shadow box on a wall or a desk. It's hard to spend that kind of time on a fly, use expensive feathers and then let a fish bite on it when you can give him something that takes a lot less time to tie.

Ashby

After they are photographed I toss them in the trash..............................................JUST KIDDING!!!! :hyst:

I give some away and the rest are just piling up. I don't even frame them for me to hang on my walls. Have the frames but just don't feel like doing it for my own use. In fact, I have only two of my flies framed and on my walls.

Haven't sold any either except for one of my very early flies, many years ago.

I do have a bunch of early stuff that is really bothering me as to what to do with them. They are not nearly what I tie today even though I was pretty happy with them at the time. Destroy them? Don't know. They are part of the body of my work so I feel I should save them but why. Actually, any of you really accomplished tyers who might share the same "problem", I would be interested in hearing your views on the matter. If not here, in an email. One Idea I have been mulling is to frame one old one with one new one to illustrate the change. :dunno:

Happy Trails!

Ronn

Ronn you have an old antler hanging around? or you could use a piece of white birch, cedar, etc. Make something for a knick-knack shelf.

I only have a few I was really satisfied with, and those I gave away (after I framed in a small shadowbox). Most of the ones I wasn't happy with, went right into my flybox.

I'd love to get one of each of the posters flies on here. Start my own collection. We have such a talented crew. Makes me not want to post my hairwings. LOL.

I bet theres a way you could display them in a photo album. Framing them all would probably be impractical. But putting them in a photo album somehow so they wouldn't get damaged would be a great way to browse though your work on a rainy day

I'm not really on the same boat as Ronn as I'm sure he has hundreds more than I. Although one day I hope to be in Ronn's predicument. :D

I just keep them around. I only have 3 framed and I'm actually working on another frame soon. Other than that I just keep them around and visit them from time to time to try and learn something from them. I have detroyed some of them that really "bother" me now. Keep the hook reuse some materials yada yada.

I too have thought about retying some of the older patterns I did and putting both in a frame just to see the difference.

My wife is starting to complain about my flies in the closet. She says it's taking up her clothing space!

Anyway, I haven't been actively trying to sell them as I'm not 100% happy with my work yet. Plus this is more of a labour of love and I'm not sure if my attitude will change once money gets involved.

There's my $0.02 and I would like to hear what others think too.

Peace out!

Gary

I would be more than happy to help you guys out and house some of your old/reject flies in my tying room :) .

I only frame one when my wife claims it, but there are only 8 of my own flies in my house that have been framed. I donate framed flies to CFR and other local fishing groups and charities for raffels and auctions. I sell one occasionally and give some as gifts to friends. Then there is the backlog of flies waiting for mr. razor.

Right now there are more Bergman style wet flies laying around, but I'm going to fish with those. :)

I recently teid up a salmon fly that was never inted to see water so I put it in a frame and gave it as a X-mass gift. I have not framed any for myself yet.

I frame them and then donate them to various charities for auction; such as Trout Unlimited for their annual banquet and also mthly mtgs to raise funds. I also donate some every year to my high school that they raffle off to raise funds. you will be surprised how many palces will be glad to raffle them off. you will be even more amazed at bhow much they will get for one fly nicely framed. naturally i only frame the best ones. the rest get trashed. i have been doing this for about fifteen years and maanged to dispose of a lot of flies.

joel stansbury :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Its Funny how most of you don't have any or many of your own flys framed up, I'm the same way. The one thing I've done which I think is more fun is when I'm tying at some shows swap some with other tyers. Yep you get some that are like a rusty old Ford when you just gave them a Caddi. but what else would you do with them. With as many of you as there are you should have a fly swap or drawing so everybody can start collecting each others flys. Just a thought. But I got my question answered and thanks.

Can I suggest soaking your old flies in vinegar for a week.

Following their pickling, tie them to a shortish leader, which in turn you attach to the rear fender of your car before taking them for a drag around the block...

It has to be said that this in no way improves their appearance but it DOES make them a lot easier to sell on auction sites for surprising amounts of money as 'rare original classic salmon fly, possibly by Kelson'.

Dave

Can I suggest soaking your old flies in vinegar for a week.

Following their pickling, tie them to a shortish leader, which in turn you attach to the rear fender of your car before taking them for a drag around the block...

It has to be said that this in no way improves their appearance but it DOES make them a lot easier to sell on auction sites for surprising amounts of money as 'rare original classic salmon fly, possibly by Kelson'.

I doubt any of my flies would be mistaken for a Kelson, even if I soaked them for a month. :lol:

Sign in to follow this