Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

Favorite and Least Favorite Materials

There are some materials that are a blast to tie with and can create some good looking flies. My favorites are bucktail and foam. My least favorite is deer hair. I'm always losing my grip on the darn stuff! What about you guys? Favorites and least favorites?

~Bryce

Hi Bryce...try that coastal deer hair to tie a simple no hackle caddis...the key is to take a few looser wraps first and then tighten down with the subsequent wraps...also take a few turns thorugh the butts before you cut them off....it helps to lock the deer hair in place.

John

Hey John! It tied me up a few of those no hackle caddis dries the other day. I used dubbing in various colors for the body got some great results, all except for that deer hair wanting to move around. But i'll take that advice about the butts. Thanks!

~Bryce

My favorite material... hooks and thread :lol2:

Really I love tying in foam and bucktail.

I hate tying with hackle. I used to tye all the time with it but I have gotten tired of it.

I like tying with dry fly necks as well,as for the least favorite i hate to tie tinsel bodies on streamers...seems like one wrong move and it comes unwrapped!

Hey Bryce usually what i do is before placing deer hair on the shank i put a dab of head cement or glue to help hold it.

My favourites:

A. Dubbing of all types.

B. Whiting 100's because before I started buying them picking out hackle the right size and length was a pain in the [email protected]#!

Least favourites:

A. Pheasant herl. I always seem to break it or loose grip on it and it unwhines. :crying:

B. The MANY packages of flash (35) I bought on EBAY in a "lot" and can't think of what the hell I am going to do with it all! :unsure:

Flyuser

My favorites are buck tail and dubbing. I love the way that dubbing looks on a hook, not too sure why.

My least favorite would probably have to be marabou, I just dont like the poofiness of it and everything, and plus it always dyes my hand a color which isnt too fun after while.

My least favourite is floss, epoxy and small double/ treble salmon hooks.

My favourites are 17/0 uni thread, bronze peacock herl and bronze mallard. I know I said I dont like floss but I do like clarret floss or wine. Seals fur dubbing, bear hair, squirel tail, badger hair, rams wool, black Krystal flash, pearlesent body braid, Fox, rabbit strips TMC 300 hooks, the list could go on!!

My Favorite tying material for bodies has got to be Liquid Lace.

My least favorite has got to be 4 strand floss... it keeps fraying on my calluse's and I find it 's a bear to weave...

Favorite materials anything that replaces feathers for hackling. And I am discovering a lot.

Least favorite purchasing the hackle "that I have to use" for saltwater patterns thru the mail and discovering half of it is garbage.

Thats a tough question, as far as natural materials go I'd go with marabou and deer body hair as my top 2. I LOVE MARABOU!!!!! As far as synthetics go, I'd say swiss straw and mending tape. But I really really love marabou :wub: