Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

March Brown ?

Went Trout fishing today with Redwings1.We did not even catch one fish, for our effort. But Mike made a scoop in the stream with his net and came up with a few of these guys.

Im not sure what they were, but they were about 1/8" long .

We thought they might be March Brown. I :dunno:

Pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

Leaky

I went back and did some checking...the nymph was the wrong shape for a mayfly and was more likely a caddisfly. From what I can remember and what I just checked on it could perhaps be a black caddis larvae.

Taxon - I thought that could be the case as well when I pulled out the bug book...but these were nearly 3 time the size of a riffle beetle. Is there another common bug in that family these could be?

Taxon - I thought that could be the case as well when I pulled out the bug book...but these were nearly 3 time the size of a riffle beetle. Is there another common bug in that family these could be?

Redwings1-

Guess I'm not understanding what you're saying. Leaky Waders indicated they were appoximately 1/8" (3mm) in length. If that is correct, it would certainly be within the expected size range for Riffle Beetle larvae. Please advise.

My apologies, I must have misread when I looked this up...I went back to my pictures from the last stream sample I did in the fall and the riffle beetles we have are exactly 3mm

IPB Image

alder fly......bad Idea.......my bad :( :rolleyes: :dunno:

Troutbum7-

No need to apologize. Alderfly larvae are really quite similar looking. What distinguishes them are the lateral and terminal filiments.

It appears these elmids are a species of Optioservus, based on general gestalt, and the loosely associated picture of the adult beetle (from the same site, different time of year?). There are two species in Michigan and Wisconsin - O. fastiditus and O. trivittatus.