Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
njflytyer

rare tying materials

Hi Nj and welcome to the forum................its a great question you ask and the answer is like asking how long is a piece of string............. :headbang: ...........there are so many fly tying materials that are deemed to be rare. This will be because of banned exports and imports from protected spieces which all stem from the Victorian fly dressers in England and the haberdashery (hats) trade used exotic feathers in abundance and birds were killed just for the plumage.

I suggest that you maybe pick up a salmon tying book or go into a salmon tying section here in the forum and you will see some rare feathers used.

To give you an idea some feathers from the Florican Bustard have been sold for $300 each feather. :o

I hope this helps

Mike.................The Brit has spoken :P

Mike pretty much summed it up, but I'll add a little more info for you. Some materials are illegal to have and cannot be purchased; eagle and black heron are two that imediately come to mind. Speckled and Florican Bustard can be found on the open market. You can buy a very large Kori shoulder on ebay for $300 right now, but it has been for sale for at least 6 months without any takers. There are other sources for Bustard, it's all in who you know. :)

I think "pound for pound" Indian Crow may be the most in-demand and expensive feather around at $10 each and an IC skin will set you back $3,000 or so. I'm sure there are others that I don't normally use that are more expensive than IC, but I probably wouldn't buy or use them anyway.

a feather i can think of is cock of the rock. check out some of the feathersmc.com