Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
joelst

purple king

well, never be in a hurry! body came out beautiful, but the wings came out TOO BIG! obscures the nice job i did on the body. Next time i must remember!!! just call me a Big Dummy! eventually will get back in the groove, i hope! joelst

post-3355-1138057690_thumb.jpg

Actually not bad. I like my wings to lay along the hook shank and cover the body so that it is only seen from below. Theory being, as the fly swings, it will just show flashes of the body. It does tend to hide good body work in photos.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

I think it's great. Sometimes if my wing is too large or uneven, I will take the point of my scissors and separate the fibers I don't want, then like ripping a band-aid just rip those feathers out. This is before the head cement though. Anyways, a spey fished correctly should be above the steelies so the underbody should show to the fish, veiled by the hackles. It should glimmer and glean and tease.

Anyway, I like it the way it is, Wing looks real nice

thanks for the nice comments guys. guess you are right Ron about fish seeing the fly from beneath. after all, this is a fishable fly. thanks again, joelst

Hi Joelst,

It's a shame we can't see the body of the fly but if it's as good as the hackling and winging your fly is perfect.

Beautiful job

All the best Davie

Sign in to follow this