Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly~by~night

boot or no boot?

Heya all, i was wondering...I am looking into waders for a small creek ( hip waders would be more then enough). Would boot foot be fine? It isent like like i have to have waders everywhere i fish so they wont be used that much...any helpfull info would be nice...boot foot...or stalking?-jason

stocking foot. the boots fit much better because you can lace them up. also, I like to wear my felt boots with old feet from a pair of previous waders during the summer when it is hot. that way I still get the traction provided by felt soles.

I have a pair of cheapo bootfoot Prolines from the local walmart. Had em over 6 years. They are used for small streams or quick trips after work.

The key to keeping them in good working order is Armorall. I soak them down before they go in storage over the winter and every spring they look brand new. I think I got em for 19$ at the time.

LOL !! steeldrifter, hehe

I use a cheap pair of bushline bootfoot hipwaders, they are great, except the part where the wader joins the boots, I have to pull my socks up high if I'm doing alot of walking, or the seam will wear a hole in my leg (ouch!!!)

I like the stocking foot waders with a good wading shoe myself. If you get a pair of good breathables that have the ability to roll down and be held up with a belt like a pair of pants you'll be just as comfortable and a whole lot more versatile.

I prefer boot foots myself. They don't provide the support of stocking foots and hiking boots but they allow better circulation to overcome sweaty feet. Sweaty feet are cold feet in the winter and stinky feet in the summer.

Even though they may not always be what you want to use (or need), I have almost always had boot waders. If they fit right, they're terrific . . . and less items you have to remember to take, dry, put-on, etc. But, that's coming from an old guy who doesn't like to take along any more crap than is necessary. My son swears by the tie-on boots, even when he forgets to throw his favorite rod in the car!

thanks all for the info...i think i will go for the boot foot waders.

I will just be using them in a very small slow moving stream....insulated or non-insulated? here in MO. the temp isent like way up north. i think neo's would bake me in the spring and summer...so breathable?-jason