Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

Wooly Bugger

I usually tie my buggers for trout, size 6 is usually as big as I go, but if I had to name a favorite size it'd either an 8 or a 10. I do plan on fishing alot of size 12 buggers this year too though. Take that advice with a grain of salt though since I only have one year with a fly rod under my belt.

I was given a pattern by a friend that is a variation of a woolie that is tied in a size 14. I have used it on the White, Norfork and a variation of the variation :hyst: on the Little Red and have continually caught fish. I was also tying for a few lodges here for awhile and primarily tied woolies in 12's and 14's.

Mike

I tend to think in length of the fly rather than hook size when I tie buggers. I tie them from an 1 1/2 to 6 inches. I usually tie them on a TMC300 which is a 6XL hook. Size 12 for the smallest to Size 2 for the largest. I'll weight them with a bead head or jiggy head or 6 or 7 wraps of medium lead wire wrapped just behind the eye, if I weight them at all. They all can be cast with my 6 wgt, though it's more chuck and duck with the size 2 when I'm using my 5 wgt.

What type of water do you use >8 on? Seems kind of small going under #10, for me at least.

I would go to a size 4 with either a bead head or wire wraps, and sometimes both. Did okay on a 6wt in the wind when I lived on the Snake River. Just a little caution when casting such a heavy fly. Move your casting arm out just a little bit. You can literally see stars when that heavy thing hits you square in the back of the head on your foreward cast. :bugeyes: