Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Brookeville, IN trout outting

Will and I were talking this week about getting a party together for a little tailwater trout action. We are going to hit the Brookeville Tailwater stream in Brookeville, IN...as of right now, it looks like the last weekend in Febuary...anyone interested should just make a post and let us know if you want to go....we may camp out at Smallie's house the night before since he is only an hour and a half away....let us know what ya think! Peace! wink.gif

SE Indiana .... Here is a little info on the area. Like Chris said it is a tailwater that has been stocked with trout regulary for the past few years. It has a good population of both Rainbow and Brown trout with a good amount of holdover fish because the people in the area religiously practice catch and release and want to show the Indiana DNR that the stocking program is a success. People really love this area and is one of the few trout streams in our area and many clubs and orginizations are working hard to make it a decent fishery. I do know that last week I read about a guy who caught and released a 18 1/2" Brown out of there and that is nothing incredibly "special" for that stream.

I must warn anyone interested that this tailwater is only 2 miles long until it reaches the warmwater of the Miami Whitewater River. From what I have researched they regulate the temps year around coming out of the damn just for the trout population and I can't remember the exact temps but it stays somewhat constant year round which makes for decent fishing even during the winter months.

Here is a link to a good deal of info on the Brookville Tailwaters: http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/Brookvill...ville_frame.htm

just e-mailed the tailwater coordinator...should get some pretty good info to share with you fellas....

Sounds tempting. If I did lose my mind and decide to fly north in Feb. what is the nearest airport, Cincy?

"If" I'm not laying on the beach somewhere and can find a co-pilot, I'll be there.

Sounds real nice

To be quite honest I'm not a trout fisherman and even though I live 1 1/2 hrs away I have never fished it. I might make a plan to head that way just to check it out and wet a line.

I can't make any promises on this place guys, like I said the whole section is only 2 miles long but it should provide some open water.

Yea the closest airport is the Cincy airport

woory wart....Big Daddy knows trout!!!! If the copper john doesn't get them, the dynamite will!!! LOL....hoping Mr French, the tailwater coordinator, can shed a little more light on the fishing situation for us...I'll keep you fellas updated!!

Confirmed the dates with Dave French via e-mail. He and his organization with post it in thier Community Calendar as a courtesy to us. They do this so other groups wil know that the water will be occupied that weekend...nice, huh?

still gathering a little more in depth info...I'll keep you posted

What????

Do you need reservations to fish that crick?

We're talking the weekend of the 28th, right???

No you don't need reservations to fish it, it is just something the local clubs do to keep so many people from being on the water. If they see that a group is gonna be there they will make a different day for an outing, we are only talking about 2 miles of trout water.

something like that tongue.gif ....think I'm gonna head up on the 27....make a full weekend of it....working on finding cheap lodging now...if the weather is decent...may find a camp ground....trying like hell to get big bro to tag along...a little whipped, but he might make this trip...

how far is this from huntington, IN? i went to school there for a year, but this was before i got back into fishing of any kind. to bad because we always partied at the dam outside of town (just dont tell the school that, they wouldnt approve bugeyes.gif )

Sign in to follow this