Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Brookeville, IN trout outting

should be a nice outing....three hour drive for me...no biggie...longer than that to see the family back home....I might be persuaded to stay an extra day and fish Monday as well....juswt depends on the $$$ situation at that time...lay off season for us....

what flies should we have in our boxes for this trip, or should i just bring the old faithful brass caddis? wink.gif

elk hair caddis is a must...weather may be warm by then...wooly buggers, copper johns and stoneflies are the local favs....stream has a healthy population of smallies and bluegills....don't be suprised if we hit in the mix with a few of each...nymphing is big on this little flow...mostly flies tied in 14 to 8....may not hurt to have a few early season dries in the box

the caddis i can do, but i really suck at the most other dries. to bad it wont be warm enough for terrestrials, i can tie those pretty good.

do you think it will be warm enough for streamers?

i will tie up a bunch of stones and caddis too then. hmm, wonder what else i can create devil.gif

SDHflyfisher,

The water at Brookville is a tailwater where the water temp stays pretty constant year around. I would guess that you would fish such waters the same year around.

i fish the farmington river in CT alot and it is a tailwater streamers are good there year round and it should be the same in indiana make sure you guys bring some small flies too

true, SDH...water temps in tailwaters typically do not flucuate that much...I always start with a bugger of some kind, depending on flow and color of the water....I have found that unless it is the midwinter, it is not neseccary to go small, unless there is a nice midge hatch going...we typically do not go smaller than a 14 with anything on a tailwater....olive and rust buggers work nice , especially in 8's and 10's...if the water is a bit warmer, I will go to a 6 or larger....gonna tie some nice elk hair caddis and few Stimulators just in case a hatch is on...that late into the winter in this area and temps in the 60's are not unreasonable.....some nice dry fly action is a real possibility! wink.gif

the farmington has a lot of good hatches of small winter cadiss and midges that is why i mention it

in the summer i get some of the biggest browns to hit a goddard caddis skated across the surface

good point, but Brookeville is a bit south for the end of Feb to be considered a winter hatch

i'm in. i also might be bringing a buddy from work.

as far as when i will be there, that all depends on a few other things right now, but i will know more closer to the time of the activity

Sign in to follow this