Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Brookeville, IN trout outting

Well Sean that sucks you won't be able to make it I was hoping to see you there!

trust me i was hoping to be there too, but work calls and pays more.

you will have to come up here sometime for some steel or trout action.

After much discussion with the powers that be at my work...I am going to have to back out as well. It 's looking as if a huge layoff may hit us the first of March (March 1st to be exact). We have worked a total of 11 hours this week and the GM is already "thinning the herd". The trip may be a financial sacrifice that I simply cannot make at this time. Sorry fellas, I know this was my idea, but it's out of my control right now. I do encourage anyone who can make it to plan on going! It should be a great outting and I already regret not going. My apologies to all.

No problem guys

There's always the next one.

I've been getting decent reports of steel from our rivers. With our current warm spell the fishing will only get better. wink.gif

I hope the work situation works itself out for you. Been there....

factory life sucks....really need to put the ol degrees to work and find a career instead of a job.....It came down to fishing Brookeville or Erie, but not both....gotta go with the steel on this on.....gonna be 60 here on Friday...may use my layoff to go fishing!!

Hey guys,

This is Dan again. I can answer a few of the questions that are coming up about brookville. The damn is not of the hydroelectric variety. The only temperature control they have on it is the fact that the water is coming from amost 120' below Brookville reservoir. As far as the fish go, walleye and smallmouth are a definite possibility. The prime walleye water is either right in the stilling basin below the damn or in the first set of riffles about 200 yards below the damn. Smallmouth are very abundant downstream of the VFW and the city park. The absolute best section for trout is also in this area.

As far as flies go, anything beadhead will get the rainbows going. The browns will always take streamers (olive buggers). I wouldn't mess with anything too small. Buggers around a size 8 and beadhead nymphs around a 12 or 14 will do fine.

The best place for people to meet is either at a large gravel parking area just west of the 101 bridge or the county park, which is reached by turning south (there is no north) on the first road west of that same bridge.

The best places to stay for the night are either the small B&B's around Brookville and Metamora or the campgrounds around the reservoir itself. There are campgrounds at "The Mounds" on the east side of the lake or at Whitewater Memorial State Park on the North end of the lake.

Also, the only place in Brookville that sells licenses is the gas station on the south side of town by Hyw 252 and 1.

I'm writing this at about noon on Thurs. Right now it is about 50 degees and the water is down to perfect conditions. But i'm still at home! However invented work was definitely not a fisherman!

Also, once may starts to creep up on the calendar, you guys might want to consider meeting at the north end of the lake to fish the white bass run on the the headwaters. Each year, thousands of white bass swim up the east fork of the Whitewater R. from out of the lake in order to pass on their genes. Here in central indiana, it's kind of our own steelhead run, except the fish are abbout 12-14" on average.-Hey, you take what you can get when you live down here! However, what the fish lack in size, they make up for in numbers. It's not uncommon to have 50 fish days. I'd be glad to introduce anyone to this aspect of Brookville when the time arrives.

I'm trying to see if I can make the time to meet everyone next weekend. I'll have to see what my work schedule is and if the weather will be nice before I commit myself.

Good luck and tight lines,

Dan H.

Dan,

It looks like the Brookville trip has been cancelled. It was just one of those things where everyone had something either going wrong or coming up that kept them from going. Anytime you wanna hit Brookville just let me know, I live close enough to be there almost any weekend day so you just keep me posted. That's some good info on the white bass I fish the same run in the Ohio River and that mixes in some 10lb+ hybrids which is a very good time. Anytime you wanna meet up I could probably swing it cool.gif

Dan,

hopefully, we will be in Brookeville this summer. I really want to hit the flow, but karma just isn't working in it's favor right now. Maybe May...Maybe first of June, but we are definitely going!! Stay tuned! wink.gif

Sign in to follow this