Fly Tying
bly65

Carp Flies

Im sorry Gregg A. But I must agree with oxguo... I honestly dont like/appreciate the people that will throw a fish (of ANY kind) onto the bank to die just because of what he is... That is basically racism... Would you throw a person out of a house just because of their religion/race? If not then why would you throw a carp or a whitefish out on the bank? Your tossing them out of their home and killing them. Even if you say it is to feed the birds or other animals that will make the animals more comfortable with humans... That is NOT a good thing.

I must ask any person on these forums and also guest to not throw a fish out onto the bank unless you plan on eating the fish. Sorry I am calling you out on this on a public page.

I love carp fishing, but carp are an nonindigenous species that destroys the habitat of, and competes for the forage of native fish. No, I don't throw them on the bank to die, but I have a hell of a garden.

Any indigenous species gets returned to the water, a little tired, but otherwise unmolested.

Im sorry Gregg A. But I must agree with oxguo... I honestly dont like/appreciate the people that will throw a fish (of ANY kind) onto the bank to die just because of what he is... That is basically racism... Would you throw a person out of a house just because of their religion/race? If not then why would you throw a carp or a whitefish out on the bank? Your tossing them out of their home and killing them. Even if you say it is to feed the birds or other animals that will make the animals more comfortable with humans... That is NOT a good thing.

I must ask any person on these forums and also guest to not throw a fish out onto the bank unless you plan on eating the fish. Sorry I am calling you out on this on a public page.

I love carp fishing, but carp are an nonindigenous species that destroys the habitat of, and competes for the forage of native fish. No, I don't throw them on the bank to die, but I have a hell of a garden.

Any indigenous species gets returned to the water, a little tired, but otherwise unmolested.

And there are places where it's literally illegal to return a carp to the water.

Not 'round here, though, so they all go back in.

When/who introduced the carp? If its a native species, I don't think it should happen. And again I will bring up the whitefish... Why should they be thrown up onto the bank? Just as good a fighter as a brookie.

Just like the Lake Yellowstone Lake trout.. I would not be able to cut them open... Nor just throw them on the bank. I would either have to give it to someone else or let it go. I do not have the soul to kill something intentionally. I catch and release ONLY. People call me a purist and I guess thats what I am. I do not spin fish either. But like I say, if its the law I wont even do it then. I don't even hunt...

There is a difference between something that is distasteful to you and following the law. Some places it is illegal to catch and release...for example if you catch a yellowstone laker it is illegal to release it back in to the water and must be immeadiately killed...similar laws in effect if you catch a snakehead. While I personally would not throw a carp on the bank it is certainly my legal right to do so if I fair hooked and landed it, as long as it is not someone's front yard :rolleyes:

Let's get this back on topic as had been originally requested so it does not get locked or removed.

Bly, I have done quite a bit or carp fishing over the last few years and love it. I have had my best luck on clouser wiggle nymphs, foxee bastards, sparrow, and beadhead soft hackles. If you are luck enough to have a spot with overhanging berry trees it is a blast to fish berry imitations as well ;)

FOXEE BASTARD LINK

Brown trout are also nonindigenous species. They destroy the habitat of and compete with brook trout, grayling, and other species depending on where they are. In fact, brown trout were introduced to this country later than common carp (cyprinus carpio).

On another note, I appreciate anyone who uses their catch. I absolutely cannot stand anyone who throws a fish of any species up on the bank for it to die. If you decide to kill a fish it is only respectful to use the fish in some way and carp do make good fertilizer.

Let's get this back on topic as had been originally requested so it does not get locked or removed.

Bingo. Keep it on topic guys or it will be locked. Laws & feelings about C&R or killing fish are different from state to state and from person to person so no need to get into that whole ball of wax here for no reason.

Steve

Oh boy, carp are a blast on a bamboo rod! When ever I see them rooting around I always "try" to catch them. They put on some sceaming runs and are blast on the fly rod. Clouser crawdads and most nymphs will work. But a sloppy cast will usually send them to the next county!

I tried for carp a couple of time with no luck. I used mostly bread flies but now you guys gave me a ton more ammo to try. The lake near my house actually has some koi in it that someone released (which is illegal here) and every once in a while I throw some flies at them but no luck.

i must agree we should not through any fish on the bank put it back and let it fight anouther day.I cant wait to get out there and see if i can catch some brown bones

I use standard trout nymphs - both beaded and regular. AP Black, and Pheasant Tail produced really well. Most of the fish were Grass Carp between 5-10lbs - so use larger sizes to give yourself enough steel to remain connected.

I've landed fish on #16 hooks, but my preference would be 14's and larger.

The foxy bastard is a GREAT CARP FLY!!!!

I mostly use a craw fly I tie them in 5 colors and normally fish size 10 to 6

post-2608-1201354171_thumb.jpg