Fly Tying
Mandoyak

Spey / dee fly question

I was browsing the crawdad fly index and was wondering if any one has used any of the rather crawdad-looking spey/dee flies for warmwater, specifically smallmouth?

Mandoyak

Try a buff colored General Practicioner salmon fly as well. The browner colored feathers can be found on the Ringneck pheasant for the eyes, and use pt for the antennae as well. Hmmm, never thought about speys for smallies. Joe, maybe you can make the trip up, or me, the trip down for some experimentation on that one. Jamie

That fly reminds me of a Jig 'n pig. That's a good thing. I've been conjuring up something similar in my mind, but using some sorta synthetic hair for the collar with the woolly bugger thing (the "jig") and a rabbit strip folded over in half for the claws (the "pig). Maybe a few rubber legs for some spice around the rabbit claws. I might have to try that feather thing. Might be a bit easier.

I'd bet a black/blue one with a rattle would be killer in stained water.

Interesting idea...going the spey craw route. Off the subject, but also experimenting with tube craws.

DAFACK01...here is my version of the jig and pig. It is a Mixed Media with an ultra suede trailer.

IPB Image

A buddy of mine throws a fly like your mixed-media adaptation but with just the suede claws & palmered rabbit strip with lead eyes; very crawfishy.

Mandoyak