Blues Brother

Good, Simple Nymphs?

How about a metallic caddis?

Hook: Scud, sizes 10-18

Weight: Bead head

Thread: 6/0, dark green

Body: Wire

Collar: Wrapped peacock herl

Doesn't get much easier than this, and this fly catches a lot of fish.

Beaded Prince nymph

Relatively easy to tie, good practice for using several different materials, perfect for learning proportions and one hell of a producer.

One of my staples in sizes 12-14

How about a metallic caddis?

Hook: Scud, sizes 10-18

Weight: Bead head

Thread: 6/0, dark green

Body: Wire

Collar: Wrapped peacock herl

Doesn't get much easier than this, and this fly catches a lot of fish.

A little bit similar to a brassie, only with a bead head?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have my box full of productive flies in no time. :D

~Bryce

One nymph that I have found very easy is from a Poul Jorgensen video. Simply dub a tapered body to the thoraxarea and then form a dubbing loop. Insert a bit of rabbit fur or hares mask depending on size, include underfur and guard hairs. Twist loop forming a sort of fur chenille. Wrap as you would a hackle but stroke fibers to the rear at the top of each turn. Tie off the end of the loop and whip finish. Brush some head cement or clear nail polish on top to mat down the hackle and form a passable wing case. One variation of this is to use a black or brown permanent marker (Sharpie) and color the makeshift wing case. Very simple and buggy looking. Plus how can you be too far off the mark with a pattern from someone like Jorgensen. Whatever you tie, repetition seems to be the key gaining skills. From a true rookie, I have to really work hard to figure out some of these patterns. The Jorgensen video really helped me.

Good Day,

I agree, pheasant tails are one of the best to start with. Uncommplicated and they catch lots of fish, great combination.

Then i would move to a green rock worm AKA caddis larvae. I would suggest dubbing the body to practice that technigue. Afterall, most of the fly is just dubbing anyway.

Once you feel comfortable with dubbing, I would suggest something a bit out of the normal course of education and jump to a material like Bug Wrap supplied by www.flytyingdungeon.com. He has some great materials of all sorts that are soooo useful yet not readily available on the market except fom him. He is gear to deal with. Back to Bug Wrap... just tie in at the tail anstrat your wrap tight then slowly relieve the tension as you wrap up to the abdomen and thorax to build a tapered body. This stuff is nearly industructible and readily accepts marker. Particularly the tan and or light olive. Also, thread will show thoug the tan in a nice effect as well.

Steelie