Fly Tying

Hatches Magazine: Tying a Dragonfly

For the February issue of Hatches Graham has written us a very informative article on tying a dragonfly complete with over 50 step by step photos. He breaks down each step of the process in detailed, precise instructions.

Thanks Graham, awesome work!

Here's the link: Tying a Dragonfly

IPB Image

Man this is one of the best step-by-step instructions I have ever seen! Great stuff as always Graham!!! :thumbup:

/Ulf

Graham, In some parts of the fly tying world a person might have to pay $$ for a step-by-step like yours. For you to share that kind of knowledge with all of us is a tribute to your love of this insanity called fly tying. I for one consider you a "Master" Tyer of Realistics. Your article has been printed out and put into the "MUST" Tie Folder :D Thank you. Thom

Okay I freaking give up, okay give in. I've been convincing myself that tying realistics was only for those with that sort of artistic talent. But with those directions Graham, I am convinced I can do it now. I know it wont be as easy as it looks at first, but I'm going to give it a whirl. As always Graham, an excellant job.

Thanks Guys, your kind words mean a lot to me. I truly enjoy my time at the vise, it's fun time I look forward to. I like to combine art with realism and like to put put parts like mounth pincers on flies that might not have them in real life, custom color schemes, etc, basically just having fun tying stuff.

Grahm

...the only thing missing from Graham's article were the dragon fly sound effects.

So allow me, "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv!" :P

Graham,

Thanks for a very nice step by step. I'm inspired to give this one a try. Can you post a JPG file for the wings please.

Thanks for sharing, Graham! I will add this to my "to try" list. I am really excited about these instructions, anyone can try it, adapt it and succeed within their own skill level and abilities. Your openness, positive feedback and willingness to share are mirrored by so many on this website, I really appreciate it. Thanks again for sharing and demystifying the dragonfly.

Hi Bugcam,

Thank you for your kind, generous and supportive comments, they are truly appreciated. I very much enjoy experimentation and problem solving at the vise, in fact this is one of my most enjoyable hobbies. That’s said, I recently spent a few months away from my vise, focused on learning photography, which has now become a favorite hobby, and I want to combine both of these interests. I now look at my realistic flies and don’t like the soft, un-textured plasticy look to them. Sometime in the next week I will tye an orange dragonfly, will spend considerable time trying to make it more realistic than my previously tied dragonflies, with a hope of getting some cool photos of a real orange dragonfly posing with mine. I am having fun with these hobbies, and I’m sure it will take me many more years to perfect what I’m seeking, a killer photo I can blow up and hang on my wall. At least its fun trying.

Cheers,

Graham

IPB Image