Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Aw

Fly Identification - Dragonfly ???

Hi pals of this section. This is from Singapore Entomoglogy.

Recently in one of those early dawn trips, we come across some flies that have fallen & flipping upon the water surface.

Upon closer look, it is the 1st time that I come across such a fly.... Perhaps anyone here can identify the fly ?

Thanks !

post-514-1138885214_thumb.jpg

HI Jimmy,

what kind of mouth parts did it have? Never seen anything like that around here either but pretty sure it isn't a dragon fly.. It almost looks like a scaleless moth or something. Seen those before which is why I ask what kind of mouthparts it had.

That is a strange looking bug, were the fish hitting them? A new fly in the future? I too think its a moth, looks like a hummingbird moth, or a bumblebee moth.

Hi Joe

Back to the mouth... I can't differential between a Dragonfly mouth & a moth's one. Haha! :P

But it sure got some clear, crispy wings like the dragonflies. Well, I believe the bunch of them may have accidentally flown into the water & goes quivering around in the water surface. They dont look spent & perhaps will even take off if should the wings are dried again. :unsure:

Of course, some of these flies are like sitting ducks :help: & snacks on the water surface... they gotten taken along with some whirlpools.

post-514-1138949883_thumb.jpg

Good Day

Of course, some of these flies are like sitting ducks & snacks on the water surface... they gotten taken along with some whirlpools.

Sounds like something to imitate as a fly... I sent a copy of the pic on to some one who might be able to answer the question, or at least send me in the right direction for the answer...

BTW, approximately what are the measurements of the creature in question...

Steelie

Good Day,

Jimmy, even the bug experts are still working on this one. At this time it is believed to be a homopteran. This family includes such species as cicadas, and leaf hoppers. I will update when I have more information.

Steelie

Good Day,

Well it seems that we are making some progress on the idenification of this insect. I have been in contact with a PHD. curator of the collection at Oxford University. Yes, that one in England. We hope to reveal the mystery soon. The currnet going opinion is that the insect may be a type of tropical may fly. Possibly in the Ceanis family. We are working out more details and photos to get theanswer... but if the fish were taking them, it seem to almost be a moot point. Tie one up, put it on the leader and go fishing!

Steelie

post-295-1139546948_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the hard work in this identification ! :P

I have tried to ask around from the local institutes too but they are too not bee able to identify yhr insect. There are more unknown critters that are hatch from the water edges with the 1st light of dawn.

Any other opportunity, I wil share with you & all again!

:D

Good Day,

The current opinion form Oxford is Caenidae. Down to species identification is not yet known. But then again, with all the "new" species being found in S.E. Asia as of late, it should not be surprising to find something new from time to time.

Jimmy, next time you see these critters, or some other cool little bug, try to preserve it in 90% rubbing alchohol and an air tight container. maybe we can get it sent out to an expert at one of these schools taht specialize in entamology.

I know that next time I go to S'pore I plan to try and do this. But I am sure I will have to have the propper documents to do so however.

Steelie

Good Day,

The current opinion form Oxford is Caenidae.

Steelie

Stellie-

Had been reluctant to dip my oar in the water on this one, because frankly, I didn't have a clue as to what it was, and was hoping someone much more knowledgeable would be able to identify it. Must admit that the wings, particularly those in the photo you posted, do look mayfly-imago-like. However, other bodily features appear quite un-mayfly-like, at least to me. As far as the tentative identification being some species of Caenidae, that is really puzzling to me, as they look so different from anything I've ever seen before, that at the very least, I would expect them to be in a family with which I have no familiarity.

Anyway, all this is just preface to asking you what (if anything) you've learned since your last posting.

Good Day,

The current opinion form Oxford is Caenidae.

Steelie

Stellie-

Had been reluctant to dip my oar in the water on this one, because frankly, I didn't have a clue as to what it was, and was hoping someone much more knowledgeable would be able to identify it. Must admit that the wings, particularly those in the photo you posted, do look mayfly-imago-like. However, other bodily features appear quite un-mayfly-like, at least to me. As far as the tentative identification being some species of Caenidae, that is really puzzling to me, as they look so different from anything I've ever seen before, that at the very least, I would expect them to be in a family with which I have no familiarity.

Anyway, all this is just preface to asking you what (if anything) you've learned since your last posting.

Hi all,

Finally ... on 21 Jul 2009, all thanks to the delicated friends from NUS (National University of Singapore), RMBR (Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research) & the invitation from our PUB (Public Ulitities Board), who invited SFAS (Sport Fishing Association - Singapore & myself to attend the workshop on the subject of Singapore's Mayflies.

5972_1187977426354_1435885735_30543300_3076489_n.jpg

Until now ... finally I had an answer to the identification of the winged insect. The fly is of Polymitarcyidae, it is a Povilla (Languidipes) corporaali

5972_1187977626359_1435885735_30543305_7200615_n.jpg

Nymph of the Povilla (Languidipes) corporaali.

5972_1187977466355_1435885735_30543301_6230259_n.jpg

All thanks to our NUS (National University of Singapore) who held a workshop on the subject of Singapore's Mayfly yesterday. Pro. Y.J. Bae from the Korea University & Dr. V.V. Nguyen from Hanoi University.

Apart from the Povilla, on a 5 day field trips around the concrete island, they managed to find other sub group of mayflies & there should be more, yet to be discovered.

5972_1187977586358_1435885735_30543304_7909420_n.jpg

Polymitarcyidae

Genus Povilla Navás, 1912

1. Povilla (Languidipes) corporaali Lestage, 1922

Leptophlebiidae

Genus Thraulus Eaton, 1881

2. Thraulus bishopi Peters and Tsui, 1972

Caenidae

Genus Caenis Stephen, 1835

3. Caenis sp.1

Heptageniidae

Genus Ecdyonurus Eaton, 1868

4. Ecdyonurus sp.1

Baetidae

Genus Cloeon Leach, 1815

5. Cloeon sp.1

6. Cloeon sp.2

Genus Baetis Leach, 1815

7. Baetis sp.1

8. Baetis sp.2

Only the Povilla is much bigger in size 10 or so & the rest of the mayflies .... it's going into say ... size 32 or even smaller ...

No wonder it's hard for us to see or observe any hatches.

5972_1187977666360_1435885735_30543306_1624064_n.jpg

Nevertheless, this is some great information to us, flyers on this small red dot in Asia Pacific.

Jim.

Hi Jimmy-

Thanks for posting the identification, as I have been wondering for a very long time now.