Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stremblay77

wing material

wing material  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

White Turkey does not collapse very well and goose does exceptionally. Hard to come by in length though so sometimes there is not optioin... Find that most wings have other materials that belp to give support. I find that depending on the fly either may be better, but goose is sure more enjoyable to work with.

Goose is easier to work with and ties in better but you can't tie too large. I REALLY like swan, but almost impossible to find in this country.

I prefer turkey because of the fiber length and uniformity of the fibers. It marries well with other feathers like bustard and amherst pheasant. I have had trouble getting certain colors to take properly in the dye bath on the turkey. It doesn't collapse nicely at first, so I started steaming the butts before tying them in.

Swan is a nice feather to work with, however I have yet to find some in the last couple years that don't have a large taper to the fibers-creating an awkward looking wing. I have a bag of swan with this problem. It dyes so nicely though!

Goose is nice and cheap, dyes easy, but sometimes doesn't collapse nicely with stiffer fibers. I find it looks dull as compared to turkey and especially swan, and of course finding large enough pairs is a problem if you tie large flies.

My two cents.

Cheers,

-Matt

I use both, preferring the goose for smaller work and marrying to other smaller feathers like wood duck or mallard flank. I use turkey on most all of my larger flys simply for the size issue.

I'd really like to vote for both. If I'm dressing something small then I'll reach for dyed goose shoulder every time. Larger patterns call for dyed white turkey to get the necessary length.

I don't have any trouble marrying these materials nor getting them to collapse when tied in. The tie in technique just takes some practice because the goose will collapse easier than turkey.

Charlie Vestal

Sign in to follow this