Fly Tying
harleyhunter

Need Mustad Info.

I have a 50 pac of Mustad 3261 Size 6

Just need to know if they are dry fly, nymph, or streamer hook?

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

My 2003 Mustad catalog lists the 3261 as an Aberdeen, ringed eye, bronzed. The hooks in the picture look to be 2 XL and the 3261D & M are 4 XL. They look to me like they would make a good nymph/streamer/bugger hook. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Just an FYI: Mustad has an office in NY. They don't have email but if you fax them a question they respond right back. The number is on their website.

T

My edition of Hooks for the Fly by William Schmidt says that 3261 is a 3x long, standard wire, and comes in sizes 5/0 to 14. No word if it's discontinued. Good hunting!

That hook isn't discontinued. It's sold as a "cricket hook" for bait fishing. I bought a pack of 10 in #6 and #8 today at Academy Sports. They are 4XL bronzed Aberdeen hooks with a ring eye. They are not forged. I guess that means a reduction in strength.

Hi Harley,

According to an old Mustad hook book I have which lists all of the various type Mustads that hook is described as a "bait hook" and "shore hook" "great for worm fishing" aberdeen type but it should make a good fly tying hook as well.

Yes, the only difference I can see, other than the reduced strength compared to the Original Streamer 79580 and 2XS #R74, is that the Aberdeen bend places the point a little farther forward relative to the tail of the fly. I think the Mustad hooks sold specifically as streamer hooks are Sproats.

I find these hooks are very good for hoppers/crickets and Gartside Gurglers (or similar) since the are light and have a full bend and (depending on the model) a straight eye. I use them on the flies mentioned for smallmouth bass.

Sam, All<

Here is s web sight you might want to visit. Though not entirely up to date, it provides a good amount of description detail on hooks from Mustad, Partridge, Daiichi and Tiemco. I refer to this chart constantly for comparidng hooks from the various manufacturers or when I am looking for a specific set of characteristics.

http://www.kilroy.com/hooks/hookchart.htm

Hope this is a help.

Kikker

I did see that date, Joe. Wazzup with that? Anyway, one of the North American sales execs is a regular over at FAOL, and maybe here as well. He is very responsive with answers to questions about discontinues, or any other issues as well. If you post under "fly tying" you will probably get an answer from him. Mustad has been a good company to deal with for me.