Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyrodbassbum

Clear Coat Finishes

Aside from epoxy, can anyone recommend a clear coat lacquer or other type of finish that dries clear and glossy? Preferably one which doesn't make the paint or markers bleed when applied. Most of my hard-bodied bugs are cork or balsa I carve by hand, to which I apply paint and/or markers. Thanks. :help:

I use polycrylic clear coat on realistic flies! It's a waterbased clear coat. I don't know how water will affect it after it dries. I will have to coat a bass fly and see how it holds up. If you look at the dragonfly in my avitar. It was coated with that.

BFR

dragonfly

Good Day,

Depending on the marker and the material it is applid to I would follow BFR's suggestion. I have had some bleeding with nail polish and name brand markers like Pantone and Prismacolor on films, plastics or other non-porous surfaces due, most likely, to tthe acetone in the nail polish. I have not had a problem with bleeding on paper or raffia. Now vellum is another story.... it may bleed even though it is porous. We used to do this on purpose in art school with goo gone, acetone or other nasty solvents.

Steelie

I have found that for some reason the hard as nails the markers and paint will run or bleed less. Rather than other types of nail polish. Several coats of sally hansens will give you a very hard coating on your flies.

Here is a new one I was jusr told about, water based and easy to brush on with a damp brush.

I had ask a similar question on another forum. No need to turn, goes on white but clears fast.

What I like is it stays flexible. :bugeyes:

Steve

post-4088-1139386892_thumb.jpgpost-4088-1139386923_thumb.jpg

envirotex lite.

My friend is a Musky bait maker and he has tried everything from 2 ton epoxy to regular envirotex and his baits look so much better with the envirotex lite and they seem to really handle the hooks rubbing and toothy fish.

Here is the link;

envirotex lite