Fly Tying
Shaq

Are there any flower experts out there

I am working on an article about a hatch that coincides with the emergance of a flower. Are there any flower scientists out there that would know about the life cycle of the tiger lilly, especially in New york state? I haven't found much about the life cycle, just what they like to grow in ect. I am looking for time as a bulb, how much time it takes from srout to flower ect. that sort of thing

Thanks in advance.

There is a book on the subject called "Trout Flies & Flowers" by Ivan Mahoney. It covers the Eastern US.

John Cawthorne in the UK has two books on the subject. Bill

You can also try the DEC in NY. Just type in a search for them. They have all kinds of links. I m from the Adirondacks and another site that is helpful is the park agency (or as I call them, the shrub police):).

T

Shaq, I may be able to dig something up from down here in PA. Charles Meck wrote an article for Pennsylvania Angler years ago of mayfly hatches and cooresponding plant blooms. I don't think he went in depth, but at least some information. It may take some time, I'll see what I can find.

MrBones

Hey Shaq I dont know how much help this is but my mom grows these things and from bulb to sprout is approx. a month and a half to two months and from sprout to flower is approx. 2 months they flower in mid to late June to the end of July and there is an old saying that goes like this the first year they sleep the second year they creep and the third year they leap. I guess thats cause they come back every year or something. hope this helps you if not sorry.

Dustin

:) Glad i could help i guess helping my mom actually paid off, now that flowers can help with flytying i dont feel like such a weirdo for knowing a little somethin about them!!!!!!!