Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A

Soft Hackle for bigger flies?

I am looking for soft hackle for bigge flies, streamers etc.. What is the correct name Hen Saddle? I dont have a clue? I dont want to order the wrong type feathers. Thanks for any help. I see them on streamers in all different colors?

If you are going to be tying bigger flies I would say you nailed it. Hen Saddles, another hackle you might want to consider is pheasant rump. I dont know what type of flies you are tying and you might need a few feathers but natural and dyed colours to me is a feather that is not used widley enough.

Whiting Farms puts out a product called the "Bugger Pack." The feathers/hackle in this pack are specifically picked to fit large patterns such as buggers and they come in a variety of colors. You can pick them up at your local fly shop for around $10-15.

Once again thanks alot! You guys on here are great, cutting the learning curve in half. I wasnt sure about the hen saddles, and the bugger packs. I didnt know if the feathers would be too stiff for what I was looking for. I got it figured out now. I wanted to tie some salmon and steelhead flies and was looking for bright colored feathers. Some of these materials arent exactly cheap and I didnt want to be wasting money on something I didnt need right now.

I know you all already know this and many have said it before but.... Fly tying is very addictive.

I bought some materials two years ago and gave it a try couldnt get it. Picked the stuff up again 7 months later and same thing, slammed everything down and packed it up. Then this past summer tried it again and got the hang of it, and now I cant stop. I think my wife is starting to get irriritated with me because all I do is work and tie flies. I even cut my trapping season in half this year because I am more interested in tying. Great hobby!

Thanks for all the help

Brian