Fly Tying
redkid

Ephemera Vulgata (maybe Danica ? )

Last weekend I had some free time and tied a... mayfly!! U guessed it :D I'm kind of obsessed about the mayflies..

IPB Image

It's trying to be a Ephemera Vulgata :dunno:

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

That has to be one of the best tied mayflies I have ever seen! Great colouring, fantastic legs and totaly outstanding wings!!! That's just totaly awsome!!! :clapping:

/Ulf

Great pattern red kid,

It's probably a bit hopeful, but, I'm going to have a go at a mayfly (probably a hex) for my first realistic. Can you tell me what you have used for the abdomen and legs on your pattern above?

Regards,

Terry

The abdomen is a wire base,chenile to form an tapered underbody,and raffea for the segmentation

The legs are made from thin monofilament,bent with a little heat.At the upper part of the leg I added a thin piece of quill,all wrapped together with 17/0 UNI thread.

Good luck!

Great pattern red kid,

It's probably a bit hopeful, but, I'm going to have a go at a mayfly (probably a hex) for my first realistic. Can you tell me what you have used for the abdomen and legs on your pattern above?

Regards,

Terry

man man man man :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: THAT WAS AMAZING YOU IS SOOO cool REDKID OCHOO I AM DEEPT IMPRESSION :D

Redkid's mayfly is indeed a wonderful looking fly! He has a very good eye for detail.

Redkid, do you tie the extended body on a needle first and then attach it to the main hook? Is it possible to post some photos of the process?

I would be very tempted to fish one of these...Have you ever used one on the water? If so, how to they cast, float and produce?

Thanks for sharing. Thom

:bugeyes: Cast this thing??? NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!

I have some other fishable realistics I fish sometimes.. but this one wont work...

I entered a mayfly in trout dry category at the FTOTY. That one is fishable and realistic enough for the fish too :D

For the body I first atach the wire to the hook and then satrt building the body.I will try to post some photos soon

redkid...Of course you wouldn't fish this wonderful fly. But do you scaledown the pattern to fish it?

If you can post a few photos of the segmentation process that would be benficial.

BTW...Have you used any of the materials I sent you earlier this year? Are you in need of anything else? Thanks. Thom

Hmmm... you got me thinking,and I think I have an idea on how to tie a fishable realistic... :D

Yup!! the foam works great,and I used som of the bristles for a stonefly.I cant wait to finish the exams and start tying a little more,I hope my new vise will arive till then :yahoo: so I wont drop the hook from my vise again :wallbash: I'ts frustrating !!!

Mihai

It's trying to be a Ephemera Vulgata :dunno:

What ?? :blink: "It's trying to be" ?????????

I think it is real Ephemera Vulgata !!

redkid Keep up the good work!

Aarne