Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

Soft Hackle?

What exactly is soft hackle? I've been seeing a lot of soft hackle wet flies lately and really liked them. I just don't know how to get this look. A little help, please? Thanks.

~Bryce

One of my favorite soft hackle is starling it works very nicely for the smaller sizes you can use all the breast featers and more the skin will cost you less than $6.oo you can use grouse ,partige,chickabo and hen neck.

One of the nice things about soft hackle they give a lot of action in the water and can be alot insects and they catch fish and are very easy to tie

hope this helps

FC

If you get into tying soft hackles, to me there is one important thing to remember. When I can make myself sit down to tie, I tie quite a few of the partridge and yellows, oranges and greens and I was having problems with the stem breaking. I was using the pre-packaged feathers which I think is what caused it. I bought a partridge skin and haven't had the problem anymore. I have heard that the hide retains some of the oil and keeps the stems softer and more flexible. The packaged feathers are dried out and can split very easily. It's also harder to find a decent feather in the pre-packed. There are unlimited feathers to try for soft hackle tying. I have moorhen, snipe, starling, woodcock, hen necks, pheasant rump and a few other oddities. Soft hackles are fun to tie and easy to fish. And very addictive. :help:

Mike

Thanks guys. It's a snowy day here in NC, so while I'm stuck inside I figured I'd try something new. I tried a partridge soft hackle wet fly. It's not very good, but I think I have a basic understanding now of what soft hackle is. Thanks!

~Bryce

Hi Bryce....if you use the distribution wrap technique it allows you to use more varied materials and also to make the length of the fibers correct for smaller flies. A distribution wrap is tying a bundle of the fibers stripped from the fether and then manipulating them around the hook shank to from the collar of your fly.

I have noticed that newer fly tiers have an easier time with this than tying the feather as a wound hackle.

Both methods work great in the final analysis. My cane rod builder friend Ron almost exclusively fishes these soft hackles and I know for a fact that he has infuriated at least one alleged river guide catching fish after fish while the guide kept whipping away with his "exact" imitation. There is a fly called epeorus vitreus

(aka the swiming sulphur) that hatches underwater and swims to the surface like the Quill Gordon does.

You would do well to have some size 14 and 16 sulphur wet flies in your arsenal. You fish this fly on the quartering down stream swing; there's never any doubt when you have a strike!

All the best,

John

I'd have to say hungarian partridge is used more than anything. Seen some good deals on full skins at some other sites recently.

What exactly is soft hackle? I've been seeing a lot of soft hackle wet flies lately and really liked them. I just don't know how to get this look. A little help, please? Thanks.

~Bryce

Heres an example of a soft hackle fly

IPB Image