Fly Tying
backstroker

I need a vise

Hey ive been tying for about a year and the vice i have is about dead. I got it hand-me-down from my uncle. Im looking for an inexpensive vise that will last a while and will hold a fly. If you have suggestions please let me know

thanks, $ila$

I moved up from an old Herter's No 7 (I think 1950's model) to a Renzetti Traveler. I couldn't be more thrilled. I got lucky and found it at a local auctin house for about $55 There's a post here, which vise do you use that has a lot of input on different vises, What vise do you use?

Tom

Get a Peak! The Traveler is to small unless Your tying drys.

Live and learn on this one...You will end up tying on a Peak.just a matter of time and wasted money.

Brent

I'm using my 25 y.o. Thompson, still going strong. There's a vise for every budget, just a matter of how much you got to spend. I just can't see the value in a $300 + vise. I'm sure I'll here about all the reasons that others have to spend that much though. :)

You are going to see the word danvise alot here. I have one and I tie 100 to 200 flies a week on it. It is a good vise and does a good job. But I have had some issues with it. That said I am going to try to afford a peak this summer. I donot want to dog the danvise but I am out growing it and it is getting close to the time that I need to move on. You do not need to spend over 150 to get a great vise!

You will end up tying on a Peak.just a matter of time and wasted money.

:hyst: :hyst: I just saw that after I wrote my thoughts

First I'd say go to your local shop and see if you can try tying on all the different vises but for some this isn't a possibility.

Second check out the updated article on vises from Fly Fisherman Magazine:

Fly tying vises

Right now for me I have an old Herters #9, 2 Thompson model A's (one brand new one in box), but I upgraded for my main vise to a Dyna-King Kingfisher.

For now it's all good, when I get a WHOLE LOT BETTER then I might consider a rotary but I'm all set for what I do. You can also look on ebay

Fatman

Like everything else, a vise is a personal choice depending on what you're looking for. HMH is a good product, Dyna-King, Griffen, Regal... and on and on. If you tie for yourself and only a few flies at a time maybe a Thompson is good. I have 2 Dyna-Kinga and they suit my purpose fine. Then you need to think about customer service in case something goes wrong or if you decide on accessories. Clear as mud right? :hyst:

Mike

I have a Peak vise.....LOVE IT! I have owned Renzetti vise, loved it too but would not go back to it over a Peak. I have tied on a Danvise extensivly and it is a good vise but you will regret not saving up the extra for a peak....ofcourse these are all just opinions ;)

Mark

I have to disagree about just tying dries on a Renzetti Traveler :huh: ....I've had my Renzetti for going on 12+ years now and I tie up to 2/0 Stainless Saltwater hooks on it and have not had any problems with slippage. Long as you adjust the jaws properly then it will hold very large hook sizes.

I'll second what Steve said about the Renzetti. I regularly tie flies up to as large as 4's with no problem. Even tied some musky flies on it this last summer and had very few problems with it on the large hooks. A little tweaking on the jaw setting and I was just fine.

Theres been alot of great flies tied by alot of great tiers on Thompson vices. Still workhorses after all these years and affordable.

I've tied a lot of flies on Thompson vises, and they would be my favorite less expensive choice, but I'm using a Regal now and love it. Have used it for hooks ranging from #16 to 8/0, with no adjustment needed, and it's nice being able to rotate the fly. The price ($125 last time I looked -- it's undoubtedly more now) is a lot more than that of a Thompson, but I'm sold on it.

-- Bill