Fly Tying
backstroker

I need a vise

I just got an Anvil Apex vice and I love it it rusn just over $100 bucks and its well worth it it comes with clamp and pedistol base, also has material clip, and super smooth rotation, I give it----- :thumbup:

Hey all thanks for all the advice. Im lookin into a regal. could take a while 2 schrounge up the $$$ tho.... at 14 the income isnt that great. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Thansk again

Backstroker

I have a bog standard Thompson which is fine. Also I have two Indian made pseudo rotary vices which cost only about $30 cdn. No problems tying any fly I have tried so far. Also, when I moved, did not have fly tying gear with me and was about to make a trip to Costa Rica, I bought a bobbin, thread, feathers, bucktail, crystal flash and stainless hooks, I used vice grips to hold the hook and tied up a bunch of perfectly acceptable saltwater flies.

My point: you can tie flies with pretty simple gear. Your efficiency and quality will increase with better gear but this is a diminishing returns relationship. The only reason I can think of for spending $250 on a fly tying vice is the satisfaction of working with a such a fine piece of engineering - this is not a trivial reason however, and I have my indulgent pieces of fly gear too.

Thompson all the way. or, if that doesn't work, Try to find an older distant relative, family friend etc. and see if he has any Fly tying stuff. that's how i obtained most of my capes and my second vise, for free 3 years ago. =)

I have a sunrise that was my first vise, it was cheap and I still use it occasionally if I have a few different things going at the same time. I then bought a Renzetti Traveler and I love it I used it all of the time and tied thousands of fly's with it, I still use it as well usually to tie dries and small stuff. I started spinning deer hair and tying bass bugs and saltwater fly's so I bought a Dyna-King Barracuda Jr. Trekker, I love this vise and use it way more than both of the other vises combined. That being said I still think the Renzetti holds small hooks better than the DK, but the DK holds large hooks much better than the Renzetti. I am quite happy with my current situation as it is very versatile. I guess if I had to have just one the DK would get the nod. But I'd be wishing I had the Ren for the small stuff, and for taking on trips.

I got into all of that because I wanted you to realize that different vises fit people differently and excell in some areas while they may lack in others. There is no one vise for everyone, go somewhere you can tie on a number of vises and tie up some of the patterns that you want to tie. You'll quickly whittle the list down to the perfect vise for you, or maybe like me you'll end up with a couple of perfect vises. Good Luck

Thank you Sawcat, thats amazign advise. Ive tried a couple and im really liking a regal... but at 14, thats a bit pricey. I dont know, ill figure somethign out.

Well if you like the regal check for them on e-bay, I see used ones on there all the time. There is also a cheap knock off called the crown vise, I don't know if they're any good or not. I still think it's important to tie on many different vises. Hook holding is only one factor in determining a vise, it simply must do that or it's not really a vise is it? How my hand fits around it, does it rotate smoothly, do I liike the layout of the adjustments and do they function properly, are the jaws replaceable (they will wear out eventually), does the company stand behind their products and are parts readily available are all important things to consider.

If money is an overriding factor just but a Sunrise or thompson, they are simply hook holders, they work well, they are cheap. I've seen them on sale at Gander Mountain for under 20.00.

Good Luck and have fun tying

Go to Sportsmans Warehouse, pick up a Crown vise, around $40.00. It's a regal knock off. holds about any size hook very securely. I've used mine for about 10 years now. You can also order them through,

Bill Sherer's "WE TIE IT" website. www.wetieit.com

ditto on the "crown" vise. I recently got a "royal" vise via Hook and Hackle, and it's just fine for my tying needs. B)

i just recently upgraded my fly tying vise as well. some advice i was given was: "remember, all the vise does is hold the hook. you really don't need all of the bells and whistles."

that being said, everyone has their individual tastes.

my advise is get a vise that will last you a lifetime and is affordable (you will need to decide that).

i chose the renzetti traveller - good vise for the money. holds a wide size of hooks particularly the sizes i primarily tie for trout. i'm very pleased with it.

also looked at the dyna-kings but i felt these were too pricey.

just my .02