Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
easterngray

Gibbs Striper Fly

The Gibbs Striper Fly was developed by Stan Gibbs just after the second World War. It is a real classic by a man that went on to develop one of the East's most popular plugs, still in production and catching fish today.. and for those in the know, so are his flies! Cheers, Alec

post-2292-1140902893_thumb.jpg

I have some original Gibbs flies from Al Brewster and some others.... I would like to know whay you used for the blue feather inside...I can not remember as I am typing but I thing it is a swan feather... naturally, any other will do...but nice to see some of the old classics tyed..

Beauty, Alec. This is a pattern on my list to try for Ohio River wipers in a month or so. That is if the river is below flood level by then!!!! Wow, did it come up fast - highest water I've seen locally in more than a year!

Joe C.

On 2/25/2006 at 4:28 PM, easterngray said:

The Gibbs Striper Fly was developed by Stan Gibbs just after the second World War. It is a real classic by a man that went on to develop one of the East's most popular plugs, still in production and catching fish today.. and for those in the know, so are his flies! Cheers, Alec

post-2292-1140902893_thumb.jpg

do you have any for sale. I just lost one that i have had in my hat for almost 30 years:(

10 hours ago, Noahguide said:

The reference post is over 14 years old.

But ... easterngray was on the site as recently as 2018.

Good luck, Dave clark, on getting an answer.

Dave clark, Harold Gibbs tied the stripper fly a little longer and with different cheeks than shown (age of fly he tied it starting in the 1940's), pm me if you want a few tied I can tie the original or as easterngray tied. (I personnaly like easterngray's pattern a lot more)

This is a time limited offer as I will be heading to camp shortly. then all bets are off until the fall. 

Dave clark , editing to tell you I am on my way to camp, pm me I'll check from time to time. Info on Gibb's fly (not tied by Stan Gibbs of Sagamore MA but Harold Gibbs of RI. I knew of Stan (met more than once in my younger life on the canal and at red top when Don & Elizabeth owned it) and his sons as everyone on southcoast probably did he was a local legend, plug innovator, manufacturer and great fisherman) Harold a Barrington RI saltwater fly fishing innovator and conservation leader,  tied original with white goat and blue swan wing, duck flank cheeks and red throat. later changed to white & blue bucktail (shorter to not foul hook) jungle cock saddle flank (had to do something with those from a tier's perspective) and red hackle throat. Still to this day a great fly and also tied by a local legend (Harold N. Gibbs), ask anyone in the Rhody Fly Rodders.