Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hatches Magazine: Crocheted Crawdad

Ridiculous patience and creativity on this pattern Duane. I think your step by step can get about any of us to get a 'fishable' version of this pattern, but probably will take some time to approach your level of art with it.

Thanks Redwings 1.

Its an always evolving pattern--such as, I have found recently that 5 knots behind the eyes look better than the 3 in the tutorial. I used partridge feathers, in the past but, in the tutorial I'm using soft hen hackles and call them partridge--opps!

Its a fun pattern to tie, and gives a good idea how to weave,(crochete), that can be applied to other patterns

Duckydoty

Any experimentation with size? How big or small can you tie them without the technique losing its effect? I was surprised it was only a size 14.

I've tied them on 12's. That type of hook is really alot bigger than its size rating lets on.

I have not really played with size too much, always just wanted a real small baby craw to fish with

Duckydoty

I can just picture that Craw, draggin lightly across the sand and WHAM! Smallmouth! Nice work!

Great job Duane! :headbang: You can bet I'll be tying a bunch of those for myself and the kids.

Excellent job on the photos and even better on the pattern.

Brent

Man DD thats one cool step by step! I'm going to try my hand at them for the smallies in the Susquehanna but I'm sure they will not be as top n otched as yours.

-Sam