Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Lineology..?

When you purchase a new line do you consider the specified application for the line or just go for the old WF, DT or sinking lines?

I have seen nymphing lines, lines designed to roll cast better, bass lines, redfish, tarpon etc.

In your opinion do you think they are gimmick or are they for real?

Reason I ask. I need a new line for my 5wt. I spend 80% of my time nymphing with and with out an indicator.

Will a line designed for nymphing, improve my nymphing..?

I'd like to think there are some benefits.

Being in an age group that can speak to differences between 'then' and 'now', I'm with technology making a difference in this day and age. Today, I will buy a line or lines designed to do specific jobs; years ago, we were more creative in how we did what we wanted to because we had to accept what was available.

Way back when, before AFTMA brought line(s) into "line", so to speak, you were at the mercy of the manufacturer on weight and style and quality. Today, everyone has to be competitive; polymer technologies and exact positioning of line shoulders and breaks are closely guarded secrets. Advancements in technology, by application, will put more and more lines into the marketplace, but- each has a job to do.

I still tend to relate a line construction to how I want to fish it, but by my owning what are now 'antiques' made by outfits such as Gladding and 3M, as well as having been dragged into the 21st century, kicking and screaming as I was-

I'm glad outfits like Cortland and Airflo have made integrated running lines; polymers have been stiffened so tropical heat doesn't turn a shooting head into sticky spaghetti, and people have tried to make technology work for us all.

Kevin,

I'm not real picky abut lines, I tend to stick with general purpose lines, all weight forward, floating and sinking.

Except for Tarpon and Bonefish because of the specific requirements for those fish: hot weather, a quick release ( roll cast, shoot the backcast and let 'er rip), fly size, etc. Other than that I'll pretty much buy whatever is on sale.

TB

Sign in to follow this