Fly Tying
chrisedie

True Rotary Vice Recommendations

I too have been using a Renzetti Traveler for 12 years, and I have been very satisfied with it. However, hooks do occasionall slip. Now, hooks don't slip in my son's Abel, but it was "pricy"!

Now, if I get another vise, and with 2 other kids that tie, that is very probable, I'll most likely purchase a Dyna-King. Now that's a vise that'll hold a hook!

Not knocking the other two, but Barracuda sure would look good sittin' up on the tying table!

I have used the Renzetti traveler, and have been generally pleased. I recently purchased the Wasatch J vise, which is the improved model of the Jvise reviewed in the article referenced above. I am very pleased with it. The midge jaws are worthwhile if you tie smaller flies. There are lots of good vises out there. Like most tiers, I don't use the "true" rotary function all that often.

Hello All,

I think a clarification is in order when questioning the hook holding power of the Renzetti cam jaws. The Renzetti Traveler is a *trout* vise. Even though Renzetti claims it can hold hooks from size 28 to 4/0, the larger the hook used, the more parallel the jaws become, and hence the holding power is compromised. I noticed that if I used a hook larger than a #6 or #8 that hook slipping could become a possibility. Because I tie a lot of streamers, I picked up a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler (w/ cam jaws) for flies larger than #8s and haven't regretted the decision once.

I'd also like to add that I believe that the Cam jaws to be a significant improvement over the old 'screw knob' jaws and well worth the 68.00 upgrade to Cam jaws. Sure, the cam jaws prevent wearing out the thumb and forefinger tips when tying dozens of flies, but the cam jaws also allow *much* greater pressure to be placed on the hook. Think about it fellas, it's simple physics- the lever action of the cam jaws allows for greater work (hence greater hook holding) to be done than the circular rotation of the old 'screw knob' type jaws.

If those who have complained about hook slipping would care to elaborate, I am sure that they would find that they were using larger hooks than the trout Traveler was intended for without repositioning the fulcrum screw on the vise jaws. To prove that the Renzetti Cam jaws can hold without slipping, I have attached a photo of a Mustad #34007 3/0 hook in my Saltwater Traveler vise. This stainless saltwater hook is pretty much the thickest, heaviest and burliest hook that I regularly tie with and came straight from my hook box without being bent or altered in any way beforehand. Unlike the Dyna King, the Renzetti's jaws are not grooved yet still offer amazingly strong hook holding capability.

Keep it deep,

Whippersnapper

post-2358-1142035084.jpg

whippersnapper:

That photo should come with a warning label!

"DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!"

I can just see your poor thumb being impaled by that "thickest, heaviest and burliest hook" you tie with.

:blink: :o

Ben-

Nah. That hook isn't going anywhere! That's the beauty of the hook holding capacity of those cam jaws. :thumbsup:

Besides, my thumb is well below the point of the hook.

"Mom always said safety comes first!"

Keep it deep,

Whippersnapper

Searched for several months for the right vise. Read all the literature. Friend recomended Dinaking. Glad I took his adVICE.

Bought a Dynaking Jr. Trekker and love it. Strong, slip-free jaws; smooth rotation and solid base; nice craftman ship. The Hook and Hackle Company gave me 20% off my first order, so got it for around $175.00. http://www.hookhack.com. Don't regret for a second spending that kind of money for this vise.

RC

Anyone ever heard of a Love vice, made by Gene Love?

Its sort of a Renzetti look-a-like, only has refined some of the short points of a Renzetti. Only makes a couple vices a year. Superior quality. Out of Indiana somewhere. Seen one at a tying class last year. This guy may have captured the real essense of fly tying vices.

I own and use several vises including an Able Supreme, a Dyna-King Signature Barracuda, a Stonefly Travel vise, a Griffin Montana Mongoose, an HMH Tube Fly vise, and a NorVise.

All are marketed as rotary vises, yet out of the entire lot the only one I'd consider to be a TRUE rotary is the NorVise. Because of that, and due to the nature of my tying, the NorVise is my day-to-day vise.

Hywel