Fly Tying
Tennwalker41

cabelas fly tying kit and genesis fly rods

ONe things for sure i am getttin a bunch of help from nice folks. I wish it was like this everywhere. I help anyone i can. I build and fly RC helicopters and i help a bunch of people. MOst of the pilots around here want everyone to think its something special and very complicated, that couldnt b further from the truth. Anyways thanks to everyone who is helping me along. What would b a list of good tyin materials to buy upfront and where is the best place to get them all at once. I might can get some deer hair and i have chickens on the yard and i can get some horse hair from my horses but thats about it. Do i need to buy several bobbins to hold different colors and sizes. I saw a thread assortment that was in a case about 40 spools is that the way to buy. HOw bout the lead wire and other stuff. A list would sure b nice lol :help: Thanks again JON .

PS when yall get tired of answering these ignorant questions just holler lol..

For materials, here is my suggestion.

Get yourself enough stuff to at least make some wooly buggers, like mentioned before they will catch bass, panfish, trout or any other species you can imagine.

For the wooly bugger you will need 3 materials, you mentioned J.Stockard so I will supply links for you to see them.

Marabou(for the tail): http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/NM-790120-0000

Chenille(for the body): http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/SM-700130-0000

Hackle(wrapped over the body): http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/NM-790085-0000

You want, olive, black, brown and possibly white.

Hooks: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/HK-051720-0000

You want sizes; 6,8,10,12

The important thing while starting out is to keep things simple, the first goal is to catch fish and wooly buggers will get you fish. Once you gain some knowledge and experience you can dive into new patterns and go from there.

One of the videos in this topic: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10953 will teach you how to do the "wooly worm" which is basically the same thing as a bugger. The bugger uses the marabou tail instead of the yarn(he also goes over the bugger in this same video).

I debated for a long time about the 40 spools in the case. Once I learned a bit more about threads and such the 40 spools didn't look that great. I bought the assortment of Danville's 210 for a really good strong thread with high breaking point. I bought the Danville's 6/0 for tying flies that don't require the thread to be as strong. Then buy a spool of lead wire, and buy some tinsel if you would like. Then you have a really good set of threads, lead, and tinsel and it is much better than the 40 spools in the case. If I remember correctly the 40 spool thing repeats alot of threads, thus not letting you get the better deal. Like I said J. Stockards has the 3/0 on sale right now and you can get it cheap, but supplies are limited so you best hurry. It's a good strong thread.

Alot of fur and hair is easy to get. Just find a taxidermist, and ask for the scraps of tanned hides. I have a HUGE box full of all different kinds of furs and hair that a couple of taxidermist gave me.

For what hooks and materials you will need you need to check the recipes for flies. Decide about what flies you think you will want to fish with and go from there.

If I had only one place to buy from it would be J. Stockard's. You also get bonus comps for registering, buying, and reffering friends. Can't beat free stuff, plus it is alot cheaper than Cabela's on just about everything. Shipping is also cheaper too when you register. Great folks to do business with.

When I first started out I was going to buy everything from Cabela's........ since I learned better I haven't bought anything from them at all.

Of course in the end you have to buy what you want and where you want to buy from. Everything I have said is just my experience.

I have beeen shoppin on the Jstockard website. DO i need to match the thread colors to my materials or is it to add color and strength. I hope i get this right, i need 3/0 thread, lead wire, tinsel wire. I noticed on there website that they dont carry the highly recommended Danvise rotary. Is that a really good vise. I am buyin for the long term as i know i am goin to learn. Any other suggestions, i am makin the list now for order on MOnday. NO time like the present to get started!! THanks again yall JON

I really like this vise and would recommend it to anyone:

Danvise

I really like this vise and would recommend it to anyone.

The 3/0 is a strong thread. I am sure you could use for alot of different applications:

3/0 Thread Assortement

There are enough colors there to do most everything. They say if you get really good, you can hide the thread most of the time. Apperently I am not that good yet.

A pretty good tool kit:

Terra Tool Kit

Smalliehunter has some real good advice. Start with a fly that will catch everything and then add later. The Wooly Booger is a good all around fly that will catch everything. For Bass I use these in Black and Olive. For bream I like them in bright colors like Lime Green bodies and Chartreuse tails or Black bodies and Pink tails. Alot of different color combinations can be made. I even make White Wooly Boogers that I use for LM Bass, Stripers, and Crappie. A Wooly Booger is an all around great fly.

Of course after you tie a bunch of them you will want to move on to something different. I love having lots of different materials. :yahoo:

Swamp thanks for the advice. I must b payin attention as those exact tools were already on my list for mondays order. Anything u can think of that maybe usefull such as extra bobbin for different thread. HOw bout the wire and tinsel stuff. I am gonna get the materials mentioned earlier also plus hooks a pack of each for 100 total. WIll that b enough or should i go ahead and buy a box full. How much material should i buy to begin with. I was figuring around $300 to get everything so now i have some room to add other stuff thanks to yall. All suggestions welcome .. thanks again JON :help:

Extra bobins will always come in handy, so I would say yes if its in your budget go ahead and pick up 2 or 3 bobins so you wont have to swap out thread spools everytime you cange a color. Far as hooks go you really can never have enough hooks so I would get as many as you can to get started so you have a variety of sizes to play with.

Lead wire is useful so pick up some of that. Also look through the "helpful tips" forum here on the site and you will come across a ton of suggestions for finding materials such as copper wire and such around your hiuse or at the hardware store which will save you a few bucks.

SD

Right no I really would't worry too much about wire. Now I would get lead wire for weighting flies, but as for as other wire, right now you won't need it.

I don't have any tinsel as of yet, so I have no clue what the uses for it are. I use a bit of flashabou or crystal flash to give some of my Wolly Buggers some flash. Tinsel might be good for this too?

As for the hooks.... Totally up to you. I get 100 packs of Mustad hooks(79580) in the same sizes.

As far as how much materials........ Again, totally up to you. I would get the Cheille Medium Assortment, and Marabou assortment. This will give you lots of colors to work with.

I would get at least Black, Olive, and Grizzly in the Saddle Hackles.

Shame there is not an assortment pack that has Marabou, Chenille, and Strung saddle hackles in the same colors. That would make buying for Wooly Buggers easy.

I would reccomed an 6 wieght 7 at max for bass. my 5 wiehgt holds up to 5 lbs bass no prblems and can chuck wieghted flys. My neigbor has the genesis and i cast it a lot. It a great kit, i would reccomend it.

I have decided to buy the Danvise but who makes top notch tools. DO i need to get bobbins with ceramic or titanium or which is the best? WHats the difference between the THompson and Matarelli whip finisher? :help: :headbang:

I find a matarelli a lot better, and easier to use. I like to keep a seperate bobin threaded with the same or similar colour of thread. You will break your thread and or clip it. The extra bobbin will save time and get you back to tying instantly. A bobin threader will scratch the inside of the tube, (see tips section) A ceramic bobin will break if droped, and be useless. I would sugest on getting some wire as it is part of the wolly bugger, I still sugest the 8 weight combo for bass, it will be a better outfit for large flies and pulling bass from weed beds and log jams. Who knows when or where you will go fishing. Pike? Salmon? Saltwater? this outfit should cover it all.

Hey! First off, the Genesis rods are a good deal for the price. As for the size, thats your choice. If its just for bass go for the 8 wt. I was stationed in Texas and was using a 6 wt for bass, gills and trout. The good deal with these rods is that Cabelas has a warranty on them for like 2 years. I broke mine on the Guadalupe and they rushed me the replacement (rod tip broke on me) Luckily I had my back up with me. As for the kit, its great for starting out on, and Jack Dennis' videos are always helpful. If you do decide to put your own together, make sure to include a video. It really helps you advance, plus there are tons of good people on this sight to help out as well! Enjoy!

An easy bream fly that will, believe it or not catch them.

This is for when the bream (big sunfish) are first getting raging hormones in the spring and will attack anything on the surface near their "territory." Probably good for right now where you are, and in about 3 weeks up here.

This is the "Ugly MF Bug" (M=my, F=favorite...what were you thinking? :o )

post-4200-1143300467_thumb.jpg post-4200-1143300506_thumb.jpg

Hook: #8 3XL streamer hook. Don't worry it will float. You'll want these hooks for the wooley buggers too

Thread: Black 6/0 (most popular and useful color and size)

Body: Yellow craft foam, about 1/16" thick. (Walmart at about $0.50 a sheet)

Legs: rubber legs or in a pinch, thin rubber bands

Put the hook in the vise.

Tie on thread at the head and wrap the shank back to the hook bend.

Dab on a drop of head cement on the thread-covered hook shank and let it set for a minute.

Cut a piece of foam 1/4" by 1.5".

Trim the end to a point.

Tie in the foam by the pointy end such that the foam strip sticks out past the hook bend. Tie it on tight, but don't break the thread, using about 8 wraps. The foam compresses under the action of the thread.

Clip off any excess that is towards the hook eye.

Wrap the thread over the end of the foam that remains wrapping towards the hook eye. Go about 2/3 of the way up the hook shank and stop.

Bend the foam towards the hook eye. Tie down the foam with about 6-8 tight wraps.

Pull the foam up and backwards temporarily out of the way.

Cut 3 rubber legs about 1.5" long. Center them on the hook shank and tie using X-wraps. The thread comes up in front of (towards the hook eye) the legs, crosses over the hook shank,and goes down behind the legs(towards the bend), then comes up behind the legs (towards the bend) and across and in front of the legs (towards the hook eye). Do this 4 times.

Wrap the thread on the shank towards the eye, stopping about 1/8" - 1/16" from the eye.

Bend the foam forward and tie it down. Clip any excess foam forward of the tie down.

Wrap thread, making a head--use a lot of thread here. Tie off the head using the whip finisher (use the instructions that came with it).

Clip the thread.

A drop of head cement and voila!

This is a simple, cheap, and very ugly fly.

You can jazz it up a little by tying in cheap hackle after the foam is first tied in, palmering it up the hook shank to the 2/3 point, holding it out of the way, then a few wraps under the thorax.

Cast into the shallows near reeds and so-forth. Let the fly sit on the surface for about 30 seconds to a minue, longer when the water is cold. Twitch the fly just so, and count to 30. Do it again.

Bang! The fish will pop up out of the water with a pop! sound as it attacks the fly. :yahoo:I've done this on a 4 wt rod, which is loads of fun. Your new 8 wt is a bit heavy for bream, but it will work.