Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Furled Leaders

My buddy Greg Scratchley wrote an article on how to make furled leaders as well.

http://flyangler.ca/index.php?option=com_c...id=45&Itemid=31

He did a demo out at our club this week, and it looks pretty simple once your set up. It sure makes a noticalbe difference in turning over a fly as compared to a regular tapered leader.

I have been making and fishing them for a while now. They are really excellent and will improve anybodys' casting and loops. I make them out of many different materials from 6/0 thread to 4# Fluoro and mono. They are not that hard to do, just takes a little time to make the jig and figure it out. Once you start it is a piece of cake. I haven't seen it but there is a video made by Kathy Scott available directly from her with the info over on the FAOL site.

Cabela's sells some from Blue Sky Fly Fishing or something like that. Anybody know anything about them? Would these be a good one to try to see if I like it?

About a year ago TODDFATHER , who usually hangs in the rod builders forum, was good enough to put to words the instructions for building the board (jig) and furling instructions. It made it all come together, that plus a little other research in to the leaders. I make all my furled leaders one length, approx 60" and with a loop on each end it is easy to just loop to loop a tippet of any size and length to give you what you want for various situations. Once you fish them you'll never go back, they are a real dream to cast. :headbang:

Cabela's sells some from Blue Sky Fly Fishing or something like that. Anybody know anything about them? Would these be a good one to try to see if I like it?

Have not fished them yet but I have a few of thier Stillwater series. They seen to be well put togetether and I think they will be worth investigating. I got mine through Al and Jody Miller of Miller's Fly Shop If you go to thier page you will be able to click on Blue Sky Furled Leaders in the margin that will take you to a product page, click on the item and it will open to a good write up on furled leaders.

So I took the plunge this afternoon. I put together my jig according to Claude Freaner's instructions on his web page for the 8 foot leader/tippet.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/freaner/furling/furled.htm

Also, I adapted Claude's design slightly by putting a post at the far end on both sides, giving it a square bottom. Also, put three cup hooks at the top (one in line with each side and one centered). I found it easier to finish the looping on the middle hook. Then unhook the other end. Having two posts at the bottom rather than one in the center then allowed uninterupted room to twist down the center of the jig. If you are going to be moving your pegs around for different lengths and tapers, color code the holes with a marker for the different sets.

Made it with both legs being one piece for the twisting, then folded over to furl, which allowed me to use a Shorb Loop on the tip end.

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Tackle/...led_leader.html

This gives me a strong loop with no knot bulk to get in the way.

It took a couple of tries to get the hang of it. My first I did with some 4 lbs. Fireline. The color and material made it a little easier to keep everything straight than the 1 lbs. mono I used for the second one. Didn't have quite enough twist in the first one before I let it furl, but the second one came out very nice.

After doing it, I recomend anyone to try it. It really is like fly tying - it may be easier to purchase them, but there's something to be said for the art of doing it yourself, and I can't wait to catch a fish on one of my leaders, just like the first fly I tied.

Next up is making one with Uni Thread. From what I understand, it far and away beats mono, but mono is easier to get a hold of around here for the learning process.

Blue Sky is the first furled leader I tried. Excellent product. Highly recommended if you want to start out with a purchased solution. There are a number of on-line sales venues now. I think the Blue Sky went for about $14 and lasted me 4 seasons of pretty regular use.

Joe C.

That what they ran me Joe, I also have a DVD coming from Kathy Scott so as to see what and how to "maybe" make my own.

All right guys, it sounded like a few of you were going to give it a try. How's it going? My wife is getting tired of the sound of the drill, but at least I'm inside spending time with her rather than out in the garage. I have to say I really like the way the Uni Thread ones are coming out.

Steeldrifter, are you still planning on doing the step by step? If not, I would be interested in putting something together.

For those of you trying this, how about a furled leader swap? Throw in your own verson and material with the details for recreating it. Be a great way to try different layouts without having to redo our jigs all of the time.

Mine are going well, I have made up about a dozen this past week. I have sent one out to a fly swapper as a token. Right now I have only tried the 10-8-6 on a 6foot version. Uni thread 6 in one colour, oh yah I also made a 14 - 10 -8 for bass in 2 colour 5 foot. Put a few nylon .005 together as well.

Swap I will join.post-3271-1144250410_thumb.jpg

deeky I havent had a chance to get the wood and make up a jig so I can start making them again yet. If you would like to do a step by step then feel free to do so and just email it to me and we'll feature it in a Hatches article.

I am new to this web site but thought you would like to hear that the web site Furled Leaders out of England deals only with that subject. The site has set-ups, formulas, etc. Just thought you might like to know.

No sense in stopping there speedlite, what is the name of the site? Welcome to the forums as well.