Fly Tying
broadcj

Cleaning feathers from pet stores

Hey everyone,

I was given 5 huge peacock feathers from a pet store owner today (really great herl) and I was just wondering if I needed to clean it and if I do, how do I go about it. I was thinking Lysol would kill any crap but I didn't know if the alcohol would ruin it. If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jake

You can can soak them in some warm water and Woolite (Zero, in canada) for a few minutes (10 to 15 min) gently giving them a swish or two. Take them out and lay them on some paper towel to soak up the exess water. Don't fret, they will look like Sh*T...now take a hair drier and dry them. Done.

OR you can put them in a microwave oven for a few seconds. Or you can freeze them in a freezer...take them out after a few days and let them warm up for a couple of days then refreeze them.

DONT use Lysol. If it's bugs your worried about... you can use a piece of NO PEST strip, and bag them up with that.

Or, just store them with moth balls. If they have some "crap" on them water and little, little bit of dish soap if needed.

Joe Fox