Fly Tying
DaUP

Tying Jigs

SH69,

I appreciate your point of view.

I hope you can appreciate that people might be chagrined when they vist an Italian restaurant for Veal Scalopini and get Moo-Goo-Gai-Pan instead. *g*

Hywel

Hi,

I tied a couple of crayfish patterns on jig hooks and cast them with a fly rod. I buy them from a wholesaler that supplies the spin fishing world. They are much less expensive than most fly tying hooks. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Graham...Nice use of a jig for the Peeping Caddis pattern. I think I have a few jigs in my bait-chucking tackle box :D Thanks for sharing. Thom

SH69,

I appreciate your point of view.

I hope you can appreciate that people might be chagrined when they vist an Italian restaurant for Veal Scalopini and get Moo-Goo-Gai-Pan instead. *g*

Hywel

:hyst: Only problem, you'd done better with the example that they'd get Lasagna instead of Veal Scalopini. It's all fishing, and jigs are mostly flies tied on jig hooks. Would be like you saying a "Coho fly" isn't a fly, since it was originally tied to be trolled on a downrigger. Yet alot of guys will mooch them on a full sink flyline in the sound. So not a stretch. Like I said, ALOT of NW flyfisherman use flies that technically are jigs (I know some of my summerrun flies could easily be thought of us "Johns Jigs" knockoffs). If a person is put off by seeing someone tying jigs on this site(which has lead to MANY a new fly tyers), they really need to lighten up. Plus, I've taught a ton of adults (and have mentored quite a kids) who have started out as jig tyers, now are full fledged fly tyers as well. So they are a good match. A true "crossover" from gear to fly.

SH69,

Actually, I thought the analogy I used was quite appropriate.

Hockey is not figure skating, Italian cuisine is not Chinese, I wouldn't bring a deck of playing cards to a chess game, and Beethoven is not the Beastie Boys.

It's just my opinion that a John's Jig is vastly different than a Jock Scott - and while I respect your point of view, I won't be convinced that jigs are mostly flies because they're fashioned on jig hooks, or conversely that flies are mostly jigs.

I'm in no way put off by "seeing anyone tying jigs on this site". Again, I merely brought about the idea of FTF starting a separate forum for people who have an interest in tackle-crafting and lure-making.

And, while I don't have your years of fishing experience or status as a fly innovator and published writer, I hope you can appreciate my perspectives.

Hywel

HFT, those look great. I have quite a few friends who tie up small patterns on jig hooks with bead heads slid down them to nymph for summerruns. They do quite well, and the flies swim better for what they are using them for. They've made some killer stoneflies. The proof is in the pudding too (though some guys will say that fishing a beadhead under a strike indicator isn't flyfishing either). My friend Ron has caught a ton of steelhead in the front of my old driftboat with that method. I'll see if I can tie some up (since I have the beads, plus tons of jig hooks) like Ron does. Maybe I'll call him and see if he has some I can pickup from him and post.

Is there a jig swap? What types of jigs? I'm mostly setup for tying salmon/steelhead jigs. Not sure if I want to tie up stoneflies on jig hooks. LOL. Maybe I can outsource my friend Ron to tie up his for me. :hyst: Just kidding. I may have to look into it.