Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Blues Brother

Simple Stoneflies

It seems as though every sonefly nymph I see looks hard as all get out to tie. Anyone know of any decent patterns that a newbie like myself could accomplish? Thanks.

~Bryce

I'll be honest with you...they are not that hard at all. One thing to always remember...when tying a more complicated fly, break it down into steps. ALMOST every fly is nothing more than a culmination of what you already know how to do. Just break it down and do a few and you'll see that its much easier than originally thought.

Sage8wt nailed it. They are very easy to tie. Just like he said break it down into steps.

This is overkill.

IPB Image

But it is fun to tie.

This is 5 minutes but fishes well.

IPB Image

Good Day,

Good info so far. Flies need not be complicated to be effective. I tie both simple and complex patterns. It really boils down to my mood at the vise. But I seem to enjoy the complicted or advanced patterns a bit more.

I also must respond to what Sage8wt said. He is right. I had this discussion with a few other tiers and observers at an outdoor show this past weekend. When you really break it down to the absolute core, tying really is nothing more than warpping trhread around a hook, pausing sometimes to lay something under the threadd and paossibly wrap that too.... certainly this make be a bit oversimplistic, but you get the idea.

Steelie

Zug Bug, 9671 mustad 8 to 14 or equivalent, tail three peacock sword fibers, body peacock herl, Rib medium oval silver tinsel or wire, shell case wood duck flank clipped short, legs tied like a throat brown hen hackle, head black /thread.

Montana Stone

Mustad 7980 4 to 8 or equivalent

Black thread

Tail black hackle fibers

Body black chenille

Shellcase three strands of black chennile

Hackle Black palmered over thorax

Thorax yellow chennile

Bitch Creek, Box Canyon Stone, Kaufmans Stone are a few more fairly easy patterns

Thanks for the info guys. To be honest it was the flies like fez's stonefly that intimidated me. (Great fly, though!) Steelie, Sage8wt, I'll take that advice.

~Bryce

Blues Brother,

If you only knew how easy that fly was to tie. I just put epoxy on it for durability. I'll try and put a step by step together to show you.

Hey Blues Brother I have the same problem, it takes me forever to tie a stone, my advice to you is keep practicing, and mabey try to tie a Montana stone.

I did some digging and found one of my older copies of a book by Farrow Allen and Dick Stewart .. Flies For Trout. They have listed a bunch of stone fly nymphs that have some easy steps for tying. The Girdle Bug, Yuk Bug and it's mutant the Pepperoni Yuk Bug, Matt's Fur, the Rubber Leg .. which is like the Girdle Bug only tied larger, the Montana Nymph and Ted's Stonefly should be enough to get you started.

Mike