Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
crazyflyfisher

marabou

hey there, i recently gotten into spey fishing and have been fishing alot of bird/rabbit flies but want to learn how to tie marabou into my patterns. A. do yea make a dubbing loop and apply the marabou in the loop? B.tie it in like yea would rabbit strip and let it hang naturaly?

Typically you tie it in and wind it on like hackling, constantly stroking the fibers back to be sure they are not trapped. Other people pull fibers in chunks and tie them in around the hook shank in sets.

I like to strip one side of the feather for salmon flies, and tie it in by the tip with the curved side facing down, then palmer wrap it forward, or wrap it as a throat hackle. As Redwings 1 described

Hey Joe,

It kind of depends on where you're putting the marabou. For a tail, I like to take a whole wrap around a feather and then pull it to length, that way you get the nice straight tip feather to line up, or if you want the fluffier types on the base of the feather, I cut a clump and do the same thing.

But for collaring/hackling a fly, yeah, wrap it as described above, or you can use a loop/split thread. I prefer split thread technique, where I'll cut a bunch (after putting a clip on it), and put it in a loop/split thread and hackle it that way because I suck at tying in and wrapping marabou..... and you can control length a little better if all you have a long feathers...

Jeff

For got about tails, First I will remove all the excess fluff at the base and centre tip of the feather. I will dampen the feather with water, lay a thread base on the shank then fasten it to the shank about 3 eye spaces back with about 4 turns of thread rearward. I will then clip the tag end hanging out over the eye, and spiral wrap toward the eye over the tag of the feather. Holding the feather up and back I then wrap rearward covering the feather with close back to back wraps, to where the hook starts to bend, and then wrap a loop or two around the base of the feather to prop it up then secure it with about 4 firm wraps directly on top of each other.

For clumps of marabou I will tie it on near the tail tie in point by adding a few small clumps at a time. until I have the desired amount of marabou added. With the simmilar method. I find this way the marabou tails will not pull out, and there will not be no bulk, and a smoother thread shank to tie the rest of the pattern on.

It doesn't really mater if you tie the feather in by the tip or the butt when Palmer wrapping or as a collar, but I find tying it in by the tip (close to it with enough stem so it will not snap when winding) easier to work with. For flies that require two plumes to be wrapped (different colours) I will tie them in separately but make sure they both have the same tie in point. The stemmed blood plumes work the best, but if you have to use the thicker stemmed feathers split the feather with your bodkin or needle.

There you have it marabou 101, that's all I can think of for now