Fly Tying

Deer Hair Frog

Damn Will with a deer hair bug that good looking what questions could you possibly have for Chris Helm. I'm sure he would even be impressed! :thumbsup:

Great tie buddy!

-Sam

Thanks guys, my deer hair work has had some major improvments in the past couple of weeks. I have watched the Helm video about 10 times now and even have it playing on my computer while tying with hair, that way I can fast foward to a section that I am having trouble with. In the past I had severe trouble with stacking hair but Chris has a tip in the video that the hair on top has to equal the amount of hair on the bottom. I think when I use to stack several colors I always ended up with more hair on top which created alot of problems.

I'm getting there....

I got the "spinning deer hair" video, it only covers one pattern but he touches on all the various techniques which is all I really need. It is a great video! :headbang:

Will, that's some great deer hair work. In my opinion, you could probably do without the rubber legs as they'll be a distant second to the overall action of the frog.

WOW!

Looks like the next tudorial at an upcoming outing will be chaired by you and not Hubbard :headbang:

Just wait until we get the feedback on the mess of deer hair...LOL I say, let's get Sarah's place (under another name) LMAO :hyst:

Oh yea, I bet she would love that. I heard she has photos of us posted at every access so we may need a disguise. :ph34r: :hyst: :hyst:

Mark, yea I agree and thought the same thing. This was bascially the same fly that Helm did in his video so I tried to follow each step just to learn the entire process. Having those legs hanging out there does make trimming interesting and I was quite nervous I was gonna cut them off after all that work. I think I would have cried. :blink:

That's a pretty hot looking frog Will. I'll bet that one will get you a few big ones. I love how you spun the body, and the cuts are smooth as silk. Awesome fly :headbang:

Ashby

I didn't do a great job with the eyes, this is the one disappointment. You can either clip out a "socket" with scissors or use a burner. I superglued the eyes in the socket which seems like it would hold. Chris mentioned a specific glue but I can't think of its name off the top of my head.