Fly Tying
Salmo22

DUAL TYING LAMPS

As I celebrated my tenth lustrum I noticed that my once "eagle" eye sight has begun to diminish. One of my ocular challenges involves sufficient/proper lighting for my tying desk. I'm currently using a single Giraffe Tying Lamp that I ordered from Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies - shameless plug. It is the very best lamp I've ever used. I ordered mine with the optional full spectrum Chromalux™ bulb which closely simulates natural daylight and operates at cooler temperatures.

I am considering getting a second Giraffe lamp and create a set-up similar to the picture below.

How many of you use more than one lamp at your tying desk? What type of heat does this dual arrangement create? Does it create too much glare? Any pros and/or cons would be appreciated. Thanks.

IPB Image

I use two lights quite a bit but they are just your normal Wal-Mart lights and they do put off some heat. I haven't noticed a problem with glare and there is a big difference when I only use one light.

I just finally got my first tying lamp, and it sure does make a big difference. I went to Lowe's and bought the Magnifier/Lamp and bought Daylight bulbs for it. A total of $20.00. I would like to get another one later.

Pretty nice set up you have there.

I have used 2 lamps for years, just the run of the mill Wally World type. They are the clamp type, which I clamp to the shelf behind the vise. This keeps from taking up table space.

Also use a backing plate (white). Find the second lamp eliminates small shadows. I guess heat could be a problem, but If you don't go above the wattage recommended on the sticker of the lamp, it shouldn't be.

Funny you bring up this subject I am currently using one light with a 60w flourescent bulb"the curly one" and think I need another light.

Dave

I have 3 lamps. Well they all come from the same area but I bounce most of the light off the white wall behind my tyeing area.

ikea has a great lamp with a solid base for under 20 bucks. I use just one for tying - 100w bulb with a bit of heat. 4 for taking pictures. The ones you have pictured there generate alot of heat, but are great for dark rooms.

I use two Wal-Mart cheapies, one to my right and above and slightly behind the hook. The other shines over my left shoulder. I reposition them frequently but i do like having the light coming over my shoulder. the halogens get hot after a couple of hours but it seems to happen when it's time to stretch my legs anyway.

I had a bulb go out a couple of weeks ago and was vry surprised at how much I missed the light, now there's a spare bulb for each in my drawer.

I really like the light set up shown.

Good luck

Pauly

Thanks for the ideas. I've been trying to get by with overhead light supplemented by a regular 60-watt incandescent lamp on the table and magnifying glasses, and it's high time I broke down and got decent lighting and a magnifier.

--Bill

I use the overhead room light which has two bulbs, a 100 Watt standing lamp beside the vise, a 100 Watt flood light directly above, and another 100 Watt flood light shining over my left shoulder. Needless to say I have no problem with shadows! :D

The room does tend to heat up with all the those lights on. :huh:

Flyuser

One 100 watt-equivalent fluorescent "natural spectrum" bulb in a desk lamp to illuminate overhead, an additional 60 watt bulb (same type) at an oblique overhead angle for hooks sizes 18-22, and yet another light (now 3 lights total) and magnified birth control glasses (ugly black Army frames) for anything smaller than a 22.

When it comes to hooks and light, size does matter. :)

...to add

I travel a fair amount and can never seems to get enough light in the hotel rooms. There was a thread here on the forum a while back about travel lights, still have not tried one out. May need to make that investment soon.