Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Need a recipe for a Meat Whistle

It's a John Barr fly and it's called a "Meat Whistle", it was featured in a recent fly fishin mag and I had it but can't find the dang thing anywhere, if anyone knows the recipe I'd be greatful :help: Thanks

Heres a pic

IPB Image

IPB Image

Fly rodders answer to a jig and pig! Unique hook design....basically a 90 degree bend in the front of the hook, along with a conehead is going to give this fly an incredible jigging action. Marabou, Rabbit Strip, some holo flash and grizzly rubber legs combine to make this one of the most promising sub-surface bass flies in a long time if you can get over the name. Size 1/0 hooks in crawdad and olive colors.

March 06' issue of Fly Fisherman magazine.

Good Day,

Found abasic description of the recipe at the following site:

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/store/pr...berOfEntries=30

Meat Whistle

Fly rodders answer to a jig and pig! Unique hook design....basically a 90 degree bend in the front of the hook, along with a conehead is going to give this fly an incredible jigging action. Marabou, Rabbit Strip, some holo flash and grizzly rubber legs combine to make this one of the most promising sub-surface bass flies in a long time if you can get over the name. Size 1/0 hooks in crawdad and olive colors.

Steelie

MArch 06 huh? Man I know I've got that one around here somewhere, thanks guys! THat is gonna be killer on sizes 2-4 for monster trout

This might be a stupid question -- but what difference would the 90 degree bend at the hook eye make in the fly's action? Adams

Hook point up I undertand, but jigging action? How does the 90 degree bend make any difference in action?

Adams

THey also sell these in Cablelas. If you have the 2006 edition, or just go online, you can look at it and figure out what to use if you can't find the eactual recipe.

Hook point up I undertand, but jigging action? How does the 90 degree bend make any difference in action?

The 90 doesn't give it the jigging action, it just allows it to ride hook up, which when coupled with the position of the conehead causes it to fish the same as a clouser.

Did that make sense? :dunno: