Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Why Can't I Make A Dry Fly?

I tied in Deer hair for the tail, Rayon Chenille for the body, and lots of Metz hackle at the front. It will float for a bit and then it sinks and then it will not float again.

I am using a size 8 hook.

:help:

Size 8 and Chenille... Size 8 dry must be for drakes, hoppers, or hex? The chenille will soak up the water and sink it. Something that big would work better with a hair body (deer/elk). I use chenille for wets, and buggers, but that's about it.

SH,

Start with superfine dubbing for the body. I think it's made by Hareline. It's a synthetic and treated with a floatant. Like TG said, the chenille is just acting like a sponge. You could probably wrap 5 hackles around it and it would still tip under. Oh yeah, any natural dubbing can work well also, it you treat it with gink or something of that nature.......as long as it's a fine dubbing and not a coarse, buggy dubbing like possum or hare's ear etc. Tight lines and keep at 'em!! James D TB7

Here's the situation:

A friends of mine wanted me to tie 6 dozen of these flies for him. He uses them for bream fishing. They call them Bream Killers, but it's not an original and not what I call a Bream Killer either. The original even sink and that's how I make mine as well.

Well he sends me samples and says this thing floats. Looks like the one in the lower right hand corner:

IPB Image

I float tested his sample and while it will float for a little bit, it also soaks up water and when you drop it back in the water it will sink then. The hook size is the same size as the 9671 Mustad.... diameter and all... so I am pretty sure it's the right hook.

I went ahead and changed from chenille to dubbing. I first tied in my deer hair tail, then dubbed it with a small amount of Lite Brite, and then I tied in my hackle and wrapped it at least 6 times. The thing flots alot better than it was floating and it sure floats alot better than the sample he sent me, so I guess that's a huge plus.

As far as other dubbing...... I am not sure what animal it came from and who makes it as all of the labels were not with them when I got them.

The samples in the picture are wet flies and are meant to sink. Maybe the white one would float if the white material were foam. The material on the body for the bottom-right fly is either peacock (which would be traditional) or 'Arizona' dubbing in peacock colour. Neither is known for floatability.

The hackles are also too soft (and in fact water absorbent). They are not stiff enough to brace themselves on the water surface & float the fly.

The hooks look like Mustad 3906 to me, because the wire is thicker than a 9671 and it is not forged (flattened from side to side). 9671 hooks are forged - the wire in the picture is still round.

I suggest you copy the patterns as shown and not concern yourself with floating them.

Greg,

The sample I have looks very close to the one in the picture, but that's not the fly. I was just explaining what my friend wanted me to tie and in the colors it was in.... which is what the pic was for. I know the one in the pic is a wet fly, since the article it came from was about wet flies.

It's going to be hard to copy the sample since I don't have the materials for the sample to begin with. The only thing I do know about the sample is that it uses Dun hackle.

My friend is not worried about the colors. He just wants it to float is all. I figure if it floats better than the sample he gave me I should be golden.

I bought plenty of materials to tie original Bream Killers, but then he sends me this sample and wants me to tie it. And I don't have the materials for it, and have no clue what they are. Fun of tying patterns for other folks. :hyst: Never again will I make another person's pattern. :blink:

can you post a picture Im sure that one of us can identify the materials for you and or even identify the fly its self. a good macro pic will get you alot further in its materials.

As you know...the flies in the photo are wet hackle flies designed to sink and fish as wet flies. If you want to make the floating equivalant...you can but you need to go to a "dry fly hook " and then sub the chenille with Poly dubbing or a polypro yarn or other hydrophobic type material that can hold air (Shoeshoe rabbit foot might be one). The hackle (which is soft in the photos) will need to be changed to a dry fly hackle, using several wraps around the hook (like you see on a Royal Wulff or other Catskill pattern) The fly will look different but you should get the picture...and it will float. If you want the body to ride low in the surface film....just cut the hackle off the bottom of the fly.

OK here's what I did:

I bought a bunch of dry hooks in the size I needed. I tied in red marabou, then peacock herl, and then dry hackle on the front. Floats like a champ.

Thanks for all that replied.

I remember last year I started tying, bought some size 12 matzuo hooks at canadian tire (meant for baitfishing) these things were heavy, no matter how I tied they wouldn't float, still caught fish though. then went to an actual fishing store and got some dry fly hooks, found out they use 1/10th the steel than the matzuo hooks had.