Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Carne

Gordon 3/0

I haven't had a go at this one in ages - it's the Pryce Tannatt pattern (with light turkey in place of GP tail).

Unfortunately the pic's a bit below par.

Hope you like it

Dave

post-3384-1144225099_thumb.jpg

Dave, that is an awesome fly. :headbang: :headbang: In my opinion you are a true master of tying the classics. Keep up the great work and i look forward to seeing more of your flies. ( hell, i am almost disappointed when i log-on and don't see a new fly from you :baby: :baby: ) :D

Great fly, Dave! It would be nice to see all of the thousands of salmon flies you have tied all together in one photo!

Dave,

Those are two lovely flies. Man you sure do get through flies at a rate few can equal. I certainly couldn't tie that many so quick. :dunno:

Pedro.

Hi great fly - do you ever tye it with Indian Crow in the tail as per original dressing?

For interest, this is what I believe the original dressing for the Gordon as invented by Cosmo Gordon was:-

Tag: Silver tinsel

Tail: A topping and indian crow

Butt: Bronze herl

Body: One fifth light orange silk, the remainder of claret silk

Ribs: Silver tinsel (flat) amd silver lace

Hackle: Claret from orange silk.

Throat: Jay

Wings: Tippet (in strands) backed by a aword feather projecting the full length of the wing, bustard, peacock's wing, mallard, swan dyed blue, red and yellow, peacock herl and a topping.

Sides: Jungle fowl.

Head: Bronze herl.

In some versions there is Blue macaw as horns.

Happy to debate !

Cheers

Colin

This was actually only the second Gordon I'd tied - the first one being pre-my owning a copy of Kelson so had to be the PT version - I'm still really updating my duff flies with less duff flies so aren't really investigating variants (yes of course though the one you list is the original) unless they tickle my fancy more than the original (like this or the Wilkinson I posted recently).

I would say I much prefer the wing colourway of this version as it works better for me with the body and hackle colours.

All the best

Dave

Sign in to follow this