Fly Tying
Fly Tyer Guy

Which realistic tyer is th best

who's the best  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Man the best? I think all the realistic tyers are great in there own respect. And there are a ton more popular and no name realistic tyers out there that deserve there name on the "Best" list. There are guys like Bill Logan, Bill Blackstone, Dale Beamish, Tim Wohland, Rob Lewis, Steve Thornton.... Man I can go on almost forever with this list especially with all the great talented members here on FTF. I hope you get my point and don't take it in the wrong way. But they are all the best tyers in my opinion.

-Sam

This may rank as the strangest topic I have ever seen and that is saying alot. :huh:

I have to agree with Sam on this one................each has his or her own style and each is great in their own way. Im just so glad we have many talented realistic tyers as members of the Forum.

Well thats my two pennys worth............ :P

Mike....................... B)

The best at what? Making art or money? I have no idea who’s doing the best; besides, it’s real hard to judge flies from photographs.

I think of realistic tying as an art form and as such the finished product is subject to the likes and dislikes of individuals, so there will likely never be a consensus for pollsters, more likely just confusion, especially when names like Bill Logan and Bill Blackstone are not on the list.

Graham

All I have to say is if any one could have a fly confiscated by customs because they thought it was a real insect impaled on a hook. They would have to own that title of the best realistic tyer. No offense to anyone but I still get a laugh when I think about that story. Out of that list I voted for Paul Whillock. You are right Graham there should be many names on that list.

I can only agree with what you all have said. The list of excelent realistic tyers is to me much longer and it almost grows for each day. Some people will get more publicity than others because they have worked hard to "get a name" while there might be others that are not as well known to the big audience but might in fact "be better" in some peoples opinion. But it's always gonna be a question of personal taste when you decide on which persons art are "best".

As Graham so Nicely says, it's hard to judge flies from photographs only. And living far from most of the famous tyers I will probably never see their flies for real anyway...

/Ulf

Lets see.....who won the last contest here....he whas pretty unknown but what a beautiful fly he tied.

There might be people tying realistic flies and we almost dont see them.

Lets say its an pretty long list wit "the best" realistic tyers,if there whas one,and it will continue on the backside of the list ;) .

Klaas

Definitely a subjective question, and certainly a less-than-comprehensive list. Of the guys on the list though I am partial to Paul's work.

MY vote is to remove the post. If you had a hundred names listed, someone will have to be last. While I can live with my flies not being chosen for the "Fly tier of the year contest" I would not want my name posted so people could see where I ranked.

I wonder how these great tiers feel about having their names posted without their permission. They all tie far above any of our skills. I'm not angry, I just want to be considerate. We are all on this fur and feather journey together.

Conehead

I agree with Klass, Redkids mayfly is the most realistic looking adult mayfly I’ve ever seen, but even Redkid mentioned that maybe its photography that helps it look so good. The only realistic tyer who’s flies I’ve actually seen and touched, and examined from all sides is Bill Blackstone. As far as I know Bill has been tying realistics longer than anyone else, likely developed many of the techniques used these days, so I cast a null vote, and would give it to Bill if he was on the list. Bill was also chosen by the Federation of Fly Fishers to judge their realistic tying contest, and I believe they made a good choice. Regarding the other tyers to choose from in the poll, they are all great tyers, I didn’t know Paul Jorgensen tyes realistic? The only fly I’ve seen from Bob Mead is a lady bug, and David Martin and Paul Whillock are both incredible artists and fly tyers, and I hope someday to see their work in person.

Graham

Good Day,

This is a dangerous question in the sense that it is so subjective in nature. Who is the best abstarct painter? Who is the best sculptor of wood? Who is the best impressionistic painter? Unlike something like sports, that is more objective do to records documenting ability, I personally see fly tying as a mixture of craft and art. All is based on personal opinion as well as likes and dislikes. All I can say at this point is that I truly enjoy all of their work. I hate to be so non-comital, but this one is not my descision ot make...

Steelie

What is the best flavor of ice cream?

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

We all learn from each other. Paul Whillock, as good as he is, can learn from a beginner... In the United States it is typical to rank things. I pay no attention to rankings...

To many more important things in life than wondering who is #1...

...my 3 cents worth

BTW...Ben & Jerry's 'Cherry Garcia' and Dryer's 'Mint Chocolate Chip' :rolleyes:

No way Sully, the very rare "Saffron ice" that can only be found at the swedish island of "Gotland" has to be the very best ice cream! Want me to send you some? :hyst:

Sully --> :drunk: <-- Ulf

:D