Fly Tying
Fly Tyer Guy

Which realistic tyer is th best

who's the best  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is the best beer (domestics don't count)?

I think the best are Andres Touceda from Spain and Graham Owen

I have seen both tiers and I would reckon Graham Owen is one of the best I have seen check out his web site he is now into photography big time seems the guy has a golden touch for everything he does seems to work well

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Realism is a moment caught in time. Movement of life to me is as important as perfect frozen in time exactness, so for me the persons I would vote for are not listed. I do have to say in the teaching and giving back category our Fred Hannie is right up there with the best.

Cheers, Futze.r

I didn't vote for Paul, even though his flies are amazingly realistic. I voted for David Martin because the way he uses deer hair is incredible. I also agree that Graham Owen is a great tier. Another noteworthy tier is Bill Logan. If you google his name you should be able to find a picture of his Isonychia nymph (people pay $4,000 for it), it is pretty sweet.

I can tell You which one would have spent $2,000 to have played the leading role in brokeback mountain .

For me all are very good fly tyer; but each fly tyer as one best technic and speciality.There are all "PRO".

About a year ago I was searching around the net for realistic patterns/recipes/photos ect...just to be amazed and to find ideas for "fishable" realistics.

Of course I saw many works of art and incredible patterns tied by the gentlemen in this list and other artists/tyers like FTF's Fed H..

I continued poking around and came across a forum post with by far the most incredible realistic pattern I have ever seen (in my 4 years of serious tying). The pattern was a light cream colored mayfly - looked like a large Cahill or maybe a Hex (but the color pallet too light I think). Anyways...

The pictures of this fly were breath taking. No joke, he had pictures taken during a hatch (of the same mayflies) that included a series of a natural trying to mate with his imitation! :bugeyes: :bugeyes: I am not kidding. In these pictures, the tyer's mayfly was set into the cork handle of his bamboo rod when a slightly smaller male attempted to mate/mount his pattern. With the two flies in the same picture, it was legitimately difficult to tell the difference.

I have always kicked myself for not setting a bookmark on this page :wallbash: . Maybe someone who reads this has seen these images also or maybe knows who I am talking about. The only other details I remember about the tyer's post was that I think he lived in northern Europe, Finland maybe. There were also images in his avatar area (or maybe in the post itself) taken from a Scandinavian fly tying competition in which he competed in the "Super Realism" division.

Heck, maybe it was even in this forum :dunno: - I have only been here for a short time. I have been trying to find the pictures of this pattern to post in this thread b/c that guy created the most realistic pattern I have ever seen. Bar none.

Maybe this is not that amazing to some folks or others have seen it before so it is no big deal, or maybe it is from one of the guys listed in the voting. Whatever the case, the unknown tyer of this mayfly gets my vote. :thumbsup:

IMHO they are all great tyers..all that are mentioned and not mentioned it jsut your opinion...

#2 Okay WHERE HAS GRAHAM GONE? IT'S KINDA LIKE THE WHERE'S WALDO QUESTION HAVEN'T SEEN OR HEARD FROM HIM IN THE FORUM FOR OVER A YEAR...MISS HIS TYING AND PHOTOS

# 3 ANY ICE CREAM

#4 ULF .. I AGREE BRUCE DICKINSON FROM IRON MAIDEN ( MY FAVORITE BAND) :headbang:

MIKE

1. I like Fred Hannies work alot

2. I would say Oreo Ice Cream is definatly the ruler of Ice Creams

3. Sonny Sandoval (P.O.D)

What the heck Jan? that was pretty random, I think i like Freds work the best

Random indeed Brian, but the running questions where what is the best realistic tyer, what is the best ice cream, and what is the best Rock-N-Roll singer. Another question posed by Dhise was what is the best beer. As i'm not of age yet I obviously don't have an opinion on that. :lol: nor will I even when I am of age :D

Regarding the other tyers to choose from in the poll, they are all great tyers, I didn’t know Paul Jorgensen tyes realistic? The only fly I’ve seen from Bob Mead is a lady bug, and David Martin and Paul Whillock are both incredible artists and fly tyers, and I hope someday to see their work in person.

Graham

I agree with the sentiments of most who replied. "Best" is a very subjective title to bestow especially with so many wonderful tiers missing from the list. Bob Mead is the person I consider one of the founders of the "Realistic Movement". His lady bug is only the tip of the iceberg. His internet pseudonym is "Mantis". This derives from his incredible Praying Mantis as pictured below. I took this shot while tying at the Mayfly Club a few years ago.

post-12890-1236988805_thumb.jpg

Poul Jorgensen tied some wonderful realistic mayflies with graceful extended bodies and the list goes on...

For me, it's not about being the best. It's about learning from each new fly I see. I hope to pick up a little bit from each fly I look at. Some little technique or new material that will take my tying to the next level.

Cheers,

Bruce C