Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Caddis Larva Pic

IPB Image

This is the first uncased caddis larva I've captured. It wasn't the bright ime green color that the cased ones I've caught were. Anyone know what species?

It looks like a Rhyacophila larva to me. Especially with the orange tinted head and the body gills. Thats my opinion.

-Sam

OLB-

There are many Rhyacophilia species, but apparently only (6) found in Michigan. Here is a link to Ethan Bright's revised keys for identifying Michigan's Rhyacophila to species. If you were to send him your photo via the email address on his website, he would probably be happy to identify it to species for you.

OLB-

It's on Ethan's HOME page, near the end of the second paragraph. Just go there, and click on the phrase, emailing the author. Are you able to find it?

I've just registered to this forum, and saw there was an issue about this caddis larva. (My name and web site (Aquatic Insects of Michigan) were mentioned). Actually, it's a hydropsychid. Here's some thoughts off the top of my head... The distinctive larval characters to recognize are: 1) elongate anal legs (postrate in Rhyacophila); 2) all thoracic segments with thoracic tergites (notum) (e.g., Rhyacophila only has the pronotum completely sclerotized); and 3) abdominal segments with ventral, filamentous gills (some Rhyacophila do have this, but not like hydropsychids). I can make out some detail of the head capsule, and it's probably a species of the Ceratopsyche/Hydropsyche group. If someone could provide me the location from where it was collected, and the type of stream/river (i.e., current, depth, substrate), I can make a more educated guess. If someone has the actual specimen, I'd be glad to identify it. Send me an email ([email protected]) if you're interested.

Caddis larvae of the family Hydropsychidae do not make cases, rather they use silk to construct retreats on substrate. The "entrance" to the retreat has a silk mesh, upon which the larva graze captured algae, diatoms, and sometimes dead/live invertebrates. Some retreats are very elaborate; Macrostenum zebratum fashions a retreat under rocks, and its flattened head acts as a hydraulic shunt to control seston capture or water flow across its body for respiratory needs. Others make a loose retreat with a very coarse silk net, e.g. Arctopsyche (sometimes placed in the family Arctopsychidae), which lives in rocky streams with fast current. Other groups construct fine meshes that capture finer material in slower currents. Several papers have documented habitat partitioning by larvae of different species based on current and feeding needs, which correlates with substrate/current parameters. Hydropsychids then pupate in a more secure structure. Rhyacophilids, which as larvae are free-ranging (without building a structure), also build a structure in which to pupate.

Cheers, Ethan

This site just continues to get better and better. Welcome Ethan and thanks for the great info. The experience level found and shared here continues to amaze me.

Mike

This site just continues to get better and better. Welcome Ethan and thanks for the great info. The experience level found and shared here continues to amaze me.

Ditto! Ethan thanks for joining us here and feel free to share your wealth of knowledge with us at any time. Welcome to FTF.

Steve

Agian here Ethan. Too muich knowledge to contain without sharing. Thanks for sharing Ethan and You are what make this format so interesting. Expert input provides a knowledge base unequaled.

Thanks again Ethan

later

Fred

Glad to be of some assistance. I'm happy to help any time. And being a novice fisherman, I'll probably have my own set of questions for you experts!

Cheers, Ethan