Fly Tying
bryston

FORGOTTEN FLIES.

Its well worth the price I paid when it first came out. You can find it cheaper than $500 on the web.

Bryston..

There have been several on ebay in the last month or so.. Some had a $250 opening bid with no reserve, but did not sell since they had no bids. You should be able to pick one up on there for $200 to $250 depending on the day of the week.. I have picked up several in the last year under $150.. Just keep looking..

I think I paid $110 for it when it was still in print. It's a huge book - weighs a ton. It's hard to figure out what to do with it, as far as storage. That being said, it is an awesome book. The Bergman stuff and Carrie Stevens stuff alone is worth the price of the book.

Forgotten Flies is a wonderful reference, and if you are interested in tying historical flies then it is a must have book. But, if you are not into the old fly patterns then it is hard to justify the cost just to have it.

The $250 is a good price, I've seen copies in fly shops for $450. The vendor on ebay is Ingrid Sils, who co-authored the book.

Bryston - Don't know if this helps, but I recently purchased a copy of Forgotten Flies for $250 from Ebay (the sellers ID is "tcsin228") and it turned out to be signed by both of the authors. I was quite apprehensive about spending that much money for a book, but the seller was very responsive. After receiving the book I and reviewing it I can say it is well worth the price. The photos are simply amazing (large photos of each fly).

I purchased the book yesterday. The rumor was true, this was an unwrapped first edition from the publisher. It will arrive signed by both authors !

Troutbum thanks for the heads up !

Brian

Forgotten FliesIMHO, is a very good book. And I would say that even if I did not have over 700 flies in it. The info on all the famed celebrities, Ray Bergman, Preston Jennings, Charles DeFeo, Carrie Stevens & the Rangeley Lake Region of Maine, Mary Orvis Marbury, and the last chapter of the book with over 1,000 streamers and bucktails in it - all include photographs that you can only see in museums or if you know someone and have the privilige to view their private collections.

Here's the link to the Complete Sportsman website, in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.rareandunusual.com will take you to the site, and

http://www.rareandunusual.com/troutwetflies.htm will take to to two pages of wet flies that I tied for the book.

I know a shop that has a couple copies too, for $300 I think.

Don